newark airport to Manhattan via train or cab and back again

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get in on a weekday morning after rush hour to newark, is it safe to take the train to penn...or better of with a car company...anyone prefera car company any names suggestions we leave on a weekend morning at 7am any suggestions there???
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM

What do you mean by "safe" -- safe as in you'll get there on time for something, or safe as in you fear for your life?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM

The train is safe.

Where are you staying? The Olympia bus may be the most convenient option with the least transfers.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM

I hate the Airtrain because it is a major pain with luggage.

I vote car service.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM

Yes, the train is perfectly safe.

For car service, we use "dial7".
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
car service!
carmel limo or dial7
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:31 AM

There are shuttles to your hotel. The train is a pain as someone else said.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

gretchen, what shuttles are you talking about, since the OP didn't even say what hotel they're staying at?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:09 AM

Public transit is perfectly safe - but train can be a aPIA if you have more than one small carry-on. Organize a car service (Dial 7 or Carmel) rather than cabs - so your fare is fixed. Plus, NYC cabs don;t have to go to Newark - and many won;t - since they have to come back empty.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, i just meant safe to take in general, i will try a car company since we are headed to the omni berkshire..what is your favorite car service i mean reliable!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM

You can get a shuttle from or to Newark by shuttle. They are public shuttles, may require a change in NYC but will deliver you to the hotel, OR pick you up and take you.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Interesting. I took the train with dd from Penn Station to Newark and we did just have one carry on each - but I found it very easy (other then I was going to get off at the wrong place in Newark... )

I would prefer the train over a car just due to traffic. But I am no New York expert - I was afraid to take the subway till the people on this board gave me play by play, step by step.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM

We just returned from New York City. Our taxi to Manhattan from Newark airport cost us $90 ($67 for fare,+ $12 toll bridge + tip). We arranged a car service (Dial 7) on our return to airport and it was about $20-25 less. We arranged for a car to come get us at the hotel at 5:45am and they were there early.

My husband has been there on business and he used Dial 7 (about 5 trips so far) and they have been reliable.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I think going FROM Penn Station TO Newark is easier than the reverse. We did the Newark-NYC one time, and arranged a shuttle to return us to Newark.
The shuttles are about$15-$20 per person. You walk out the door and get on the bus. That takes you to Grand Central Station and you transfer to smaller bus to your hotel. Not real direct, but also not expensive, comparatively.
What is Dial 7?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Dial 7 is a door-to-door car service.

Taxi fares are inflated because to travel from NYC to Newark or the reverse, the taxi must cross state lines. A NY taxi cannot pick up a passenger in Newark, NJ--it must return empty to NYC. Similarly, a NJ taxi cannot pick up a passenger in NYC--it must return empty to NJ. Therefore, taxis tack on extra fees to cover empty return trips. A car service can take passengers in both directions and so its rates can be lower.

Some door-to-door shuttles, like SuperShuttle, do not work well in NYC. You can spend a lot of time in the city picking up other passengers before going to the airport. For the reverse trip, you might spend a lot of time waiting for the van to fill before leaving the airport. I once spent an hour sitting in the van waiting as the driver drove from terminal to terminal to get more riders before leaving the airport. Fortunately my destination was one of the first once we reached NYC. Others have had good luck with this type of shuttle, but it's difficult to predict.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Dial 7 and Carmel are care services. You arrange for a private car (usually a Lincoln town car) in advance for a flat rate agreed upon. You also have to pay the toll into the city and tip the driver - esp if he helps with luggage. It's door to door and usually more like $60 or $70 versus cabs - which can vary significantly based on traffic.

For 3 or 4 people this is the same or cheaper than doing a shuttle - and is much faster. Super Shuttle is esp well known for long waits and often driving passengers around in traffic for an hour or more while dropping people at 5 or 6 hotels.

A better choice is a shuttle bus to a central point - Penn Station or Port Authority - and then cab from there. This will be cheaper for 1 or 2 people.