New York - Washington

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York - Washington

Anyone having some good suggestions of fair priced hotels in Washington? Budget 150-200$/night. Any suggestion for program (first time visitors, adult and young adults) for two/three days.
We shall drive from NYC, and would like to stop somwhere in between for a night - any good suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM

The train ride between NYC and DC is quite relaxing. The cost however depends on many people are on the trip. It is between 4-5 hour car ride, so unless you have a specific destiantion in between it can easily be done in one day.

And Union Station in DC is a glorious renovation.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Any particular reason you want to stop for a night if you're driving between NYC and DC? It's just not that long of a drive. But, if you'd like some history with your stop, I'd suggest Philadelphia. There's a lot to see and do there and it's about halfway between NYC and DC.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM

The cost of hotels in DC varies depending on both the time of year and day of the week. Weekdays are often much more expensive than weekends. It's cheaper when it's cold, and also when Congress is not in session.

Where would you like to stay? Close to the mall? Close to restaurants? Trendy? Etc.

Doing a search for "Washington DC hotels" or just "Washington DC" and you should have a good starting place. The mall, the monuments, Arlington Cemetery and the museums (Smithsonians as well as the Holocaust Museum would top my list) can easily fill 2-3 days.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM

parking fees can be steep so if that makes a difference, you may want to stay where you can get free parking or a bit out of town.

we found a great weekend deal at sheraton arlington for $69 and $89 that included the parking.

nice hotel.
good diner down the street. free shuttle to metro and shopping.

your 2.5* hotels will most have free breakfasts.. amerisuites, springhill suites, h.inn express.

d.c can be exhausting as the distances are huge.
if you take your car, get a VERY good map. you will inadvertently go back and forth to virginia across bridges,etc. and think you are going way out of your way, but surprisingly, there is always a pretty fast way back onto a familiar road.

you can park along the museum row ( the mall ) three hours max in many places. do not be afraid to go up side streets down by the vietnam memorial, also.

we enjoyed the new native american museum. the building itself is unique, although a bit heavy in parts. they have a very interesting food court with authentic dishes from tribes across the americas.

check their activities. seemed they had lots for kids this summer.

we enjoyed walking along washington harbor, and ate at "sequoia" one night .. fun atmosphere.. normal food.

there are paddel boats at the lake near lincoln memorial on way to jefferson memorial.

be sure to look for coupons if you want to save in this town. it is worth a atop at the ivsitors center and also to ask the activity place where they have the best coupon.

i always thought the "duck" tour that goes from land to water looked like it would be fun with kids.

philly is a logical stop. see the liberty bell, and the visitors center movie.. have a nice meal. or stop in baltimore.

we used priceline.com for most of our hotels this summer. www.travelzoo.com also had some good rates, as did hotwire.com

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Are you planning to visit during the beginning of October? Unfortunately, you're probably not going to find much under $200 a night that time of year. If you want to raise your budget a little, I can suggest a great hotel we stayed in last weekend - The Melrose Hotel in Foggy Bottom. Remember that parking your car at any of the downtown hotels is going to cost $30 a day or so. (That means 2 days of parking if you are staying one night.) If you're renting a car to drive from NY, you won't need it while you're in Washington. You could save the parking fee by dropping the car off and renting another one when you leave.

If you need to keep your costs down, I suggest staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Greenbelt, Maryland (just before you get to DC). It is located close to Rt 95. The parking is free, and they have a shuttle to the Metro. Getting downtown on the Metro will take about half an hour.

One note of caution: Please do not even think about staying in one of the hotels on NY Avenue in NE no matter what the rate is. They are downright scary.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:58 PM

On second thought, you might not save any money by dropping the car off and renting another one since the car rental places will probably charge you more to pick up and drop off at different locations.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I wouldn't even come if I were going to stay in some motel in Greenbelt but it will be cheaper, of course, if you just want to come in and out like a commuter to go to a museum or something. Some people like that but Greenbelt is a pretty boring place to stay, and far out.

Some hotels charge $30 a day, but many do not, and there are lots of parking garages that don't charge that much, either. $20 wouldn't be uncommon, though (Jurys right at Dupont Circle charges $20, and they should have rooms at that rate).

It's only about a 4-5 hour drive between NYC and Washington, so I don't see the reason to stop somewhere, but if you just want to spend lots of time, it depends what you want. Baltimore wouldn't be too bad in that it isn't impossible to drive in/out, and there is something to do there to kill a day. But if you just want some easy place to stay the night, cheap -- why? Can't you drive more than a couple hours? I guess if you had to start real late the first day, that could make sense, but I don't think there is any great place in-between. But if you just want to stop somewhere, how about Wilmington, DE
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Just came back from spending Labor Day weekend there. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt on H Street for $116, including a full breakfast. this was the AAA rate. convenient to everything.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies - its quite useful.
We will arriwe Newark with some jetlag (from Europe) late afternoon where we will pick a rental car. My idea was to stay somewhere easy to find along road 95 to sleep, being more fit going to Washington next day - maybe via Philadelpia in the morning. In Washington we have the option of going in (close to the Mall) or staying somewhere outside taking the car downtown during the days.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Toret,

Please explain...you are arriving by air in Newark and then renting a car to get to Washington andbecause of possible jetlag you want to stay half way overnight?

Here's what i would do...

arrive at EWR and get the train from there to Washington and sleep off the jetlag in Washington.

See Washington and THEN rent the car.

Why won't that work for you?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

We have already return-tickets for Newark. So we want to see a little of the East states, Washington and then back to NYC where we shall spend the latter part of our vacation.(without a car)
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM

"Jurys right at Dupont Circle charges $20, and they should have rooms at that rate."

The rates at Jurys (and other downtown hotels) may be within your budget if you are staying on weekend nights, but they are much higher during the week.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I agree that the best option might be the one to get on a train after clearing customs. There is a rail station at Newark which will let you pick up an Amtrak train.

Unless you plan on exploring the area around Washington, I think it's a city where a car is a problem.

If you are intent to drive, your options a limited to a few choices. First, you can get a hotel near the airport. There are several of all price ranges. The downside of this is that there are limited food options except for what is in the hotel.

If you drive, there are hotels near exit 9 on the NJ Turnpike. (I-95.) If you want to stop in a nice little town, I might suggest Princeton, NJ. There are several hotels in town and on US-1, just outside of town.

That said, I believe your best option is to catch a train at the airport. You can certainly catch up on sleep while on the train and get to Washington with extra time. You could also just take the train to Philadelphia and overnight there.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Because you are coming from Europe, your concern may be that you've heard bad things about U.S. train travel. That impression is generally correct, but the best U.S. train service is in what is called the "Northeast Corridor" which stretches from Boston to Washington, D.C. Train service in that area is much more efficient--although expensive--and should feel familiar for travelers from Europe.

The suggestion not to drive is because these are the most expensive cities in the U.S. to park, some of the most difficult to drive in, and the drives are often quite crowded. YOu'd be better off renting a car for the day in DC if you want to explore.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Another Washingtonian here, recommending that you forget about a car altogether. Amtrak from Newark to DC and again from DC to NYC unless you have a specific need to drive someplace 20 miles or more outside DC. If you have only 2-3 days here, there's more than enough to keep you busy without leaving the city's monument-museum core. Did you have other plans that will require a car?

If the cost of the train is too steep, there are very inexpensive DC-NY buses (I'd spring for the train on the Newark-DC trip for convenience after a long flight).