New York - Vietnamese Restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are going to Vietnam in December, BUT, I am going to New York in June. I thought this might be a great time to try out some Vietnamese food in a situation where I could ask what things are, and maybe learn a little before we head East. It might also be a good time to introduce the teenage daughter to a different food level

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be interesting/ good.
Along the same lines, we are also going to Cambodia - any ideas there?

Hope you find this question of interest, and thanks in advance for the help
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM

If you go to menupages.com you will find 70 vietnamese restaurants and more than 20 malaysian (nothing listed for cambodian). You can search by neighborhhod as well as cuisine and it will give you diner reviews and actual menus.

Have not done vietnamese in a couple of years so ca;t make specific reco. But there's a modest neighborhood malaysian place on B'way around 80th that we eat at once in a while. the food is excellent, fresh, attractive and very inexpensive. The cuisine is sort of a mix of thai and southern chinese.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM

You don't give a location or price range, but I'm partial to Bao 111 (alphabet city) or Bao Noodles (Gramercy park area)

There's another place in alphabet city that serves Vietnemaes sandwiches - Nicky's.

I've had work dinners at a place called Nam in Tribeca. It's a very cool setting in a great neighborhood. It's a bit trendier setting, but would be fun for your teens.

YOu can look at the menus of these places on www.menupages.com
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I think nytrav is talking about Monsoon, which closed a while ago.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM

If you are preparing for a trip to Vietnam, I would recommend a less upscale place. One of my favorites is Nha Trang on Baxter Street in Chinatown. The food in Vietnam varies a lot by region...I will say here that you are prepared for a real treat once you arrive...I had some of my best meals in Asia while visiting that country..

Another upscale place, if you are looking for that type of place, is Mai House with a kind of fusion Vietnamese..

Forget Cambodian in New York..there have been one or two places over the years but none has garnered particularly great word of mouth.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I will check out menu pages.
I am satying near Times Square, but we are expoloring a lot and the one in Chinatown can certainly fir in with our itinerary - in fact, the ambience of the area should help!
Noodles in Gramercy will also be a hit - Tribeca may not be on our list - trying to do a lot in 4 days - I know NY very well, but its the daughters first ever visit - lot to fit in!

Budget - inexpensive - our poor Rand quakes in the face of the mighty dollar.

thanks for all the help