New York Union Square area hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I love the W hotel there, but would like to find a cheaper hotel in the area, in the 350$ max- the W is over 500$ from 25/4 to 29/4-
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM

There are no other hotels of that caliber in or near Union Square. Here's a hotel map. http://www.maps.worldweb.com/ManhattanMap.html

The only other hotel I can think of near"ish" that's very nice is the Giraffe on Park Ave. South in the 20s. The Maritime in Chelsea is "hip" but rooms are very very small (and claustrophic). The Four Points Sheraton in Chelsea or the Hampton Inn Chelsea would be other ideas but no where in the same category.

Since I don't know what your plans are it's hard to offer other suggestions b/c you will have to go to another neighborhood. I see lots of good upscale hotels on quikbook for ~$350 or less. The W Court, while not in a swinging area is very nice. The Bryant Park is good.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Neopolitan

No offer of help here, but I can't pass this post without remarking -- over $500 a night for those tiny, stark rooms at the W? It's a nice hotel, but I become more and more appalled at the prices and what you get for that.
Good luck.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM

wow, those are high rates. when it first opened i booked a room there for visitors at $200! and the room was not small at it (it had 2 double beds and was quite comfortablein size).

ANyway, it's true, there are no other nice hotels in that immediate area. How about soho, maybe the soho grand of 60 thompson st. I honestly don't know how these hotels are priced but you can check.

The only other area that has some nice hotels is possibly the Murray Hill area, but that's still about 20 blocks north of Union Square.

Another option, but not quite the same calliber as the Union Sq. W is the Washington Sq hotel. It gets mixed reviews but they apparently have renovated some rooms and that seems to have improved the reviews as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:23 AM

www.hotels.com
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions above, I appreciate it; my daughter ( nyu) lives in that area ( rents a room so I can't stay with her) so I'd like to be as close as possible; I might bite the bullet and book the room at the W; their cheaper rooms are unavailable that week.

She's graduating in may so this might be my last visit for a while.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Neopolitan

This might be a long shot, but you might ask your daughter to stop by at the W one day, mention that she is a local resident and needs a room for her mother for that period. Can they do anything special for the rate. You might be surprised. Then again, of course, maybe not, but it is worth a shot.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:57 AM

$500/night for the W is disgusting and unbelievable. I second Neopolitan's suggestion to try the personal touch--your daughter should ask for the ass't GM or at least front desk mgr.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Neopolitan

I just caught the post above by MFNYC. Whenever the W had just opened -- how long ago was that anyway? We stopped in for drinks in the bar. They were doing a sort of open house and a manager came around offering to show us rooms. We saw two -- one was called a standard and it was a room in miniature. The other was an "upgrade" and sounds more like what MFNYC describes. But as I recall at the time we thought nearly $200 a night was outrageous for what you got. Now they're more than doubled and probably running near capacity. Wow.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

once more , thanks for the suggestions; she might try stopping by and ask.....
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

daughter dropped in but it did not work; they are almost fully booked so the rates stay high.
I reserved the room there this morning; it's so conveniently located , it's worth it to me since I'll be roaming around by myself a lot at different times while daugher is at school; thanks for all your help.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Neopolitan

well, I knew it was a long shot, but glad you tried. You, of course, have answered the question as to why those rooms are so damned expensive -- because people are willing to pay for them. It's clear that no matter how much these hotels seem to charge -- they're still always full. If they weren't they wouldn't charge so much -- catch 22.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:40 AM

There is a newly renovated hotel called the Carlton Hotel, their website is www.carltonhotel-ny.com on 29th/Madison. I haven't seen the rooms, but I've been in the lobby and the restaurant there, Country is excellent. It was just reviewed last week in the Times.

I just looked at the rates and they seem to run in the $300 range, with $319 for a deluxe king. I would check it out as the word is probably not out yet on this hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

neapolitan, you're so right; their cheaper rooms sell out fast and they do have prime location so they are very independent.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM

About 2 years ago I stayed at a very small hotel on 14th and 3rd or maybe 2nd. Anyway, it was on the east side of 14th, about 4 blocks to Park. I think it was called Union Sq. Inn. It was just okay, but my daughter lives in the village and worked in Union Sq., so it was perfect for me. About $125.00 to $150.00 a night. Good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM

You might want to try this link:

http://wotif.com/

I've used this company before (for lodging in Australia) and found them to be very reliable. They list worldwide.

Kathy
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Your best price is probably going to be through Priceline. Check www.biddingfortravel.com.