COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Gramery, Union Square or Meat Packing District

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

I need a hotel for one night in September.

I was looking at the W but it is on 51st Street. I am looking for a nice clean and moderately priced hotel - up to $300 a night but would love cheaper.

Any suggestions? Also, has anyone used priceline with hotels in NYC and been happy? I am scared I will get there and it will be in the worst room in the hotel!

Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:53 AM

There is a W hotel at Union Square if you are looking for a deluxe hotel. If you are looking for a cheaper hotel, there is a Holiday Inn in SoHo/Chinatown and a HoJo on west Houston St. Of course, there is the new Gramercy Park Hotel and many hotels in the Murray Hill area in the 30s in and around Lexington Avenue. There are many, many choices, but I don't think that many of these will show up on Priceline.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:27 AM

I think hotels in those areas will be more than $300, and the Priceline option may not necessarily land you in those neighborhoods, although it can land you a good deal.

The Union Sq W and hotels in the meatpacking district are on the pricey end.

You may be able to find something in the Murray Hill area as suggested. It's a bit north of the area you mention, but there is more of a selection of moderate priced hotels. Shelburne Murray Hill is a nice palce and sometimes you can get good deals on their website (affinia.com). Also there are some hotels in the chelsea area that may work out. I think there's a Five Points Sheraton and some others.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM

That's a Four Points Sheraton (not Five). It appears to get good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM

suggested hotels, budget-minded, clean and decent

www.gershwinhotel.com
www.nyinns.com

more upscale
look at the Affinia Hotels, they're
all nice and well-located

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM

www.affinia.com
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM

there is a boutique hotel, that seems very nice, and seems to do alot of business...it's the marcel, on 24th street and 2nd ave...
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM

How nice does the hotel have to be??? As others say, you can certainly pay less than $300 but it may not be the sort of hotel you want. Without knowing the exact date in Sept. it's hard to judge since prices fluctuate greatly.

Forget about staying in the meatpacking distr. though. There are only 2 hotels there, the Gansevoort and the Soho House and both will be expensive.

The Park South hotel is often available on quikbook.com for less than $300. Rooms are small but it's nice, just north of Gramcercy area.

Using Priceline in NYC, esp. for a 1 night stay is ideal, but not if you want to be in just those areas as MFNYC says. Most people who use Priceline want to be either in midtown or downtown/Soho and bid 4* hotels. The Priceline area of midtown south encompasses more than what you want, including Murray Hill.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Forget about what you think you know about a Sheraton Four Points. The Four Points-Chelsea is probably one of the best in the brand. The rooms are small, but you are very close to Gramercy, Union Square and Meat Packing. The location is incredibly, some rooms have great views, and good customer service. It's only about three years old and very stylish. You can usually get something under $300.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Sheraton. Very good value...and I checked tripadvisor and it gets very high marks!

Thanks all!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM

I would suggest checking www.hotels.com for lots of suggestions and you can see what the rates are for the dates you are going to be here.

Also I have recommended the Hotel Grand Union several times to friends and they thought it was fine. The price is right and the location is just a few blocks from Macy's. The website is www.hotelgrandunion

Also the Roger Williams on Madison Ave is very nice and a step up but still well priced.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MikeT,

I ended up staying at the Sheraton in Chelsea for $275 plus tax. Very good deal. Very clean, brand new and nice people! The room had 2 double beds, which were quite comfortable and was perfect for 2 people. More than 2 would be a bit crowded.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Glad it worked out, Tango.