New York - Skyline Hotel Okay???

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:21 PM
AC

New York - Skyline Hotel Okay???

Hello,

I am trying to book a hotel in New York. Tried Priceline, they are terrible. Now I am using Expedia. I am from Toronto and would like to know if anyone has stayed in the Skyline Hotel or the Roosevelt. We will be in the city from August 31 to Sept 2. Also do hotel get pricier or cheaper during the labour day weekend?

Thanks.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:32 PM
s

The Roosevelt is at 45th and Madison Ave - one block from 5th Ave. The Skyline is on 10th Ave and 50th STreet. The Roosevelt is a better location

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Eva

I agree w/ the above post. Did you check quickbook.com yet? I just quickly put in your dates and they had some decent hotels at a reasonable (for NY) rate. Also you might want to give Hotwire.com a try. i just used it for NY and got the Sheraton in a great location for $82 (US) a night. It is similar yo Priceline but you do not bid. They give you the options that they have available and the rates. Although you do not know the hotel in advance it is still easier than priceline.

Skyline is on 10th and I know of a drug bust that occurred there (friends in law enforcement). You might want to keep looking. I have not heard anything negative about the Roosevelt. Try a search on this sight to see what the folks have to say.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Donna

The Roosevelt is just fine (rooms recently redecorated too) and the location is excellent. Lately, I have seen some strangely high rates on Quikbook. Avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania. Rates Labor Day weekend are more likely higher than lower. Have you checked Hotwire? I've had better luck with hotels (nicer) with Hotwire even though the rates have been a little higher than Priceline may have had for different hotels. I just checked Hotwire, and there are some really low rates for Labor Day weekend.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Donna

P.S. Before booking with Expedia, check the hotel's website and check your dates, and phone the hotel (not central reservations 800 number) for direct rates. Sometimes Expedia's rates are WAY HIGHER than booking directly! I booked NYC for October through Hotwire (4* Midtown Central), came up Hilton for $146/night. Expedia rates for same dates $399! Rate at Hilton website (at the time I booked) $229. Another good resource is www.hoteldiscount.com. Again, you have to shop the rates before prepaying.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM
al

Don't know the Roosevelt, but I do know the Skyline. Stay at the Roosevelt for 3 reasons: the Skyline is your basic dumpy 'motor lodge'-type place, it's not in the best neighborhood and the closest subway is on 8th Avenue, 2 long blocks away.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
arlene

Hey Toronto!

We stayed at the Skyline in December for the Canada Loves New York Weekend. We got a great rate with Air Canada for this event. The Skyline is low-key looking from the exterior but the inside is beautiful - dark wood furniture, efficient staff, and the indoor heated pool is amazing. As the sun is setting you can see the whole city light up - thus the name Skyline, I suppose. A great and low-cost little deli right across the street and an easy walk to the subway.
Arlene in Ottawa.