Reload this Page >

New York - September 11, 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:12 AM
jean

is there any commemorative service planned for this date? as a canadian with an american husband would like to pay my respects - hope to be passing thru NY at that time - wll hotels be fully booked does anyone know?

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:14 PM
jean

just wanted to keep this message from being lost

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:43 PM
tweedy

I don't think I have read any specific memorials planned yet, but I know there will be several services and musical tributes done around that time. When I see something a bit more specific, will post info here.

tweedy

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:18 PM
J. Kapa

Other than the things that have already been mentioned, I haven't heard of other services- yet. However, I have no doubt that there will be many formal and informal services on that day.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:08 AM
kate

http://www.newyorkled.com/

You can check on here at the Events Calender and keep up to date with happenings in NYC>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:21 AM
nyc

I understand that a special service will be held at Trinity Church Wall Street, the Episcopal Church which is behind the American Stock Exchange. For this occasion, a special bell is being created in England, by the same firm that produced the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:09 PM
Debby

In the Florida Today Travel Section this past Sunday there was an article on Mozart's "Requium" being performed. My heart is getting so heavy while I am typing this. After my input here, I'm going to search and see if there is any more info on it. The article stated it being done in a round, at the WTC site, in Pa, and at the Pengaton and places all over the world. Starting when the first plane struck.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:43 AM
Judy

As someone else mentioned on another thread, Playbill.com has a note that many broadway shows will be cancelled that day. The article states that it is out of respect for the tragedy, but also notes that it may be partially due to expected lack of ticket sales for that date.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Elfie

I'm sure it's going to be a very sad, emotional day for all New Yorkers. I still work downtown, across the street from ground zero in fact, and a lot of our staff have told me they won't be in to work that day at all. I know that the Winter Garden at the World Financial Center (where I work) is scheduled to reopen on that day and that will be a very bittersweet occasion. They've been working on it all year, it was nearly destroyed and it's been so missed. I imagine that some people will come into the city just to mark the occasion but I don't think there will be an excess of tourists at all, so you should be able to get a hotel room if you want.