New York Questions...hotels, broadway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are thinking aboutheading to New York for Valentines Day weekend, and have gotten good deals at both Waldoff-Astoria and Le Parker Meridiend. Have read mixed reviews on both hotels on these boards, so wondering which is our best bet. Neither of us have been to the city before, so location is of concern but both seem to be centrally located.
Also just looked and found good availability for both Hairspray and Lion King (our top two picks)...which would you recommend? Thanks for everyones input
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:28 PM

The Yankee, who knows more about some things than I do, says the Waldorff is still a great hotel. The Meridian is good, but he thinks the Waldorff is better.
I would pick Hairspray
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:09 PM

I personally find the Waldorf a bit "distant" for walking to the theatre district, but if you're only seeing one play, it's no big deal.

Hairspray -- definitely!!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Hairspray!!! It is SOOOOOOO GOOD! Can you tell I loved it??
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I live here too and would recommend the Meridian over the Waldorf any day. The Meridian, has much nicer amenities and is in a better location for siteseeing and shopping. The rooms at the Waldorf need some updating, alot of them are on the older side, as it is one of the older hotels in the city.

Hairspray is good but I would go with The Producers or The Lion King as both are better productions.

Have fun while you are here.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Based on your mention of "mixed reviews" I went to read them. My question would be how good a "deal" have you gotten to consider spending your hard earned (I assume) money at either of these places, given the reviews they've gotten here? If you're savvy enough to have found this site & posted a question, why are you ignoring what people are saying? In both cases, the complaints are consistent (ie bad heat/cool system & uncomfortable beds at the Parker Meridien-arrogant service, lousy rooms at the Waldorf). There are at least 40 hotels to choose from with better ratings and they're not all expensive.

The Gorham is consistently mentioned here as a good place & it's well located. The Park South Hotel is not as centrally located but also gets better reviews than the ones you've chosen. It's in an area with a lot of "hot" restaurants & has it's own well rated restaurant (some packages include a gift coupon towards a meal there). They run special packages on their website (parksouthhotel.com)that include theater tickets. Even the Warwick (similar location to Parker Meridien) would be a good option. Finally, people love the Library hotel (although rooms are small) and it's available on quikbook.com.

Please forgive my "ranting" but I hate to see you spend a weekend that you're obviously planning well in advance at a less thsn ideal spot.

Please be aware that restaurants get heavily booked for Valentine's Day. Since it falls on a Sat. night in 2004, it will be even more difficult.

Hope you have a wonderful, memorable time.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:20 AM
GoTravel

May I suggest that instead of dinner on Valentines Day, you opt for a late lunch? My reason for this is Valentines Day is amatuer dining night out. Restaurants are packed, service is hurried, etc. Just a thought.

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Gotravel makes a good point.
Forget the Waldorf, it is not only old, but filled with old people generally. My grandparents won't stay anywhere else and I always think it seems like a nursing home when I visit them there.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:42 PM
jtp

one more vote for hairspray - Wicked is about to open, it has been in previews and will be as hot as Hairspary was when it opened. The show is sold out into January- you may want to consider this play as well. Have you seen rent? ALso good and you can probably get discount seats - try www.playbill.com
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have stayed at le Parker Meridien several times and at the Gorham once. There is no comparison, the Parker Meridien is much, much nicer. I would stay at the Gorham again, but my friend, who is pickier than I am, would not. And I always check for deals at the Parker Meridien before looking anywhere else.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM

Closeby to the Waldorf is the Benjamin hotel, larger rooms nicely furnished, some have narrow balconies; it''s now part of the Affinia chain I think. We've stayed there many times and loved it.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. One more question...how early should we make reservations for Valentines Day dinner? I know it will be crowded, but would like to have a nice dinner nonetheless. Are reservations for the rest of the weekend going to be equally competitive and should we make them well in advance as well? I really appreciate everyones help.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:39 PM

It's about two long (very long blocks) farther walking from the Waldorf versus Le Meridien to the Neil Simon Theater ("Hairspray"). This is of some concern a) during February when it can be bitter cold and blustery, and b) at showtime/dinnertime when getting finding a taxi can be time-comsuming, if not impossible (especially if there's precipitation).

We've stayed at both the Meridien and the Waldorf (our room was recently redecorated). If you enjoy vintage/old fashioned, the Waldorf is terrific. For slick and modern, the Meridien is your kind of place.

Either is well located depending upon all your other plans during your visit.

As for reservations, it's not too soon to make reservations (which are absolutely essential) for Valentine's Day as soon as you can. Be advised that many restaurants will have "limited" menus at much higher than usual prices, though probably "prix fixe". You should ask when you reserve. And, service tends to be horrendous on those "busiest of the year" occasions, along with food not up to usual standards presented with less than gracious timing.

We've learned to celebrate occasions such as Valentine's Day and Mother's Day the day before or after.

As for any other dining destinations, it's always best to reserve. I've learned to reserve for 8:00 or 8:30, even though normally our preferred time would be 7-7:30. More often than not, while traveling, we have a late breakfast or lunch and aren't ravenous enough for a fine dining destination at 7 or 7:30. But, if we have an earlier breakfast or lunch, it's easier to change the reservation to earlier than later. Or, if you just show up a bit earlier, with a reservation, they can nearly always seat you right away.

We were underwhelmed with Lion King. The best parts we had seen over and over again on TV and the rest was quite gloomy.