New York City theater

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City theater

Meeting sister (two fiftyish ladies) in New York for a weekend. Tickets for Avenue Q, 700 Sundays and Wicked impossible to get.

Considering Forbidden Broadway, La Cage aux Folles, Bombay Dreams, Brooklyn, The Musical, Dame Edna and Wonderful Town. Have any of these stood out as particularly enjoyable for you? Any I should scratch from the list?

Many thanks,
Kathy
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Forbidden Broadway is always good fun, but only if you've seen a lot of the recent and current shows. Otherwise, you'll miss a lot of the satire.
Of the other ones you've listed, La Cage Aux Folles hasn't opened yet, but if you know the show, it should be a good bet. Brooke Shields has gotten rave reviews since she took over the lead in A Wonderful Town. (Both of these shows are available on discount offers. Check the Playbill website and others.)
Dame Edna is a specialized taste. If you like her/him, then get tickets.
I wouldn't bother with Brooklyn or Bombay Dreams.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I agree to not bother with Brooklyn the musical, pleasant but a tad insipid.

I saw Bombay Dreams 3 weeks ago and although the reviews are not so good, it's entertaining, colorful, lively and fun, I stepped out on the street with a spring to my walk and a smile on my face as did most of the matinee crowd so I don't think you would be disappointed if you saw that.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM

If you're willing to pay a premium, you might look on applause-tickets.com They sometimes have availability with or without a dinner voucher for about $40 more than face value. You should also check ebay.com to see if anyone is selling tickets they can't use for your dates.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 07:38 PM

I would strike Bombay Dreams from the list first, although admittedly I saw it in London and I guess the New York show is somewhat "improved". And I don't know Brooklyn. But the others I'd all run to!!!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:09 AM

If the New York version of Bombay Dreams is an improvement, I'm glad I didn't see the London original!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I enjoyed the London production of Bombay Dreams. The soundtrack CD is in my car right now.

Keith
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Other options include Hairspray (wonderful!), 42nd Street and Rent - you can tickets for both of these from TKTS in Times Square. As to La Cage, I would check out the internet - I have a sneaky suspicion the previews are due to start later this month - it might fit in with your schedule.

Good luck1
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like I will go for the La Cage tickets and then hope something else will open up with Avenue Q or Wicked.

I've already seen Hairspray, Producers, 42nd Street and Rent which is why I didn't list those productions.