Search

New York plays

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 08:31 PM
Vicki

New York plays

Please give me your thoughts on the following plays: Rent, Les Miserables, Footloose, Annie Get Your Gun, Chicago, Jekyll/Hyde or any others. I am bringing my husband to New York for his first trip (I've been with girlfriends before) and to a Yankees game. I want to surprise him with theater tickets. He has seen Phantom (in New Orleans) and enjoyed it. I have seen Les Miserables, but would see it again. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 04:07 AM
Caroline

For what it's worth, my husband and I found "Chicago" disappointing; "Annie..."is great, as is "Rent."

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 04:41 AM
Howard

An opposing view: I say "Chicago," definitely. It's one of the best.
"Jekyl & Hyde" and "Footloose" are a waste of time. "Annie Get Your Gun is okay.
Other posters will probably offer a variety of opinions.
So, all this means is that you're going to get a variety of views and you're going to have to make up your own mind, somehow. In the end, trust the opinions of people you know!

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 04:43 AM
Donna

Gosh, it really depends on your (and your husband's) preferences. We loved Cabaret, Chicago and, especially Ragtime (one of our all time favorites). But, we thought Rent was offensive and Les Mis a snooze...

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 06:58 AM
Howard

Adding to my previous posting, I'll have to agree with Donna. Taking them alphabetically, Cabaret, Chicago and Ragtime are all winners! I'd also add It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues, a revue about (naturally) the blues.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Karen

Chicago was way down on our list of favorites. We loved Art, a three man hilarious comedy with George Segal, Ragtime was wonderful also.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 02:44 PM
Elaine

Karen,

We're seeing 'Art' tomorrow...
Looking forward to discussing play during dinner!

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 07:55 PM
Rosy

Don't miss 02 show Off B'way, which I'm sure you both will like them:
"Blue man Group" and "Stomp";both are great.
Les Miserables is wonderful, Any Get your gun is OK,aswell Jekyll & Hyde.
Be sure to find tkts....it's not easy to get them!
Good luck!

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:01 PM
steve

I have seen all the shows you mention except FOOTLOOSE. I agree that what one person likes another may hate. RENT is very "edgy" rock musical which I really liked(and I'm not a big rock fan) but it might be considered a bit risque. CHICAGO is very stylized with a heavy emphasis on dancing. I would agree with the poster who mentioned CABARET - I saw that recently and thought it was incredible! LES MISERABLES is a big show with rousing music. ANNIE GET YOUR GUN is a "safe" bet for nice music and appealing performers, but it would not be near the top of my list. JEKYLL AND HYDE has some pretty good pop-style music, but again, would not rank high on my list. So now you have yet another opinion. I'm sure you'll have a great time in New York whatever you see.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:04 PM
steve

I forgot to mention RAGTIME. It has beautiful music and a great set plus the theatre is very lovely as well.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 09:24 AM
lisa

"Art" isn't a musical (I assume you're looking for a musical since you only have musicals on your list) and it wasn't on her list anyway, plus I personally thought it was way overrated (would have made a great, shorter, one-act play but the same joke got old -- yeah, yeah, we get it, the canvas is white). Les Mes is fab as you know. I loved the music in "Rent" so much that I bought the soundtrack and play it all the time, but overall the play itself is kind of melodramatic. I liked Chicago and found it entertaining but thought it was overrated too. "Annie Get Your Gun" opened here in Washington and got universally panned by all the critics so I skipped it. Of the ones on your list, I'd take him to Les Mis (1) or Rent (2). To be honest with you, if you can get tickets for it, by far the best thing showing on Broadway right now is "The Lion King" -- and I don't just mean for kids. It's incredible.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 06:27 PM
margot

I took some friends from out of town to Chicago, their first Broadway experience, and they loved it. Great jazz music, and men love the "costumes". For a first Broadway show, you want to see a specatcular - like Chicago or Les Mis. I've heard good things about Jeckyll & Hyde, but not seen myself. Please don't go to Beauty and the Beast or the Lion King. Disney belongs on ice, not broadway. Enjoy - and go Yankees!!!