Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC??? Brunch, Jazz, Diamond District, Restaurants

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:48 AM
Diana

Leaving for NYC in 1-1/2 weeks. Can anyone make recommendations on the following:
-Good Old jazz?
-Brunch on Saturday?
-Gotham Bar & Grill?
-Twins Restaurant? Still Open?
-Guggenheim SoHo? Is the renovation over? Are they reopened?
-Where is the Diamond district? Can you tell me what to expect there?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 05:27 AM
Elaine

Diana,
Just returned yesterday [stayed 1 night]. Cannot answer all your questions. However, we had a fabulous dinner at Gotham Bar & Grill. Had Sunday brunch at Quilty's on Prince St. in SoHo..also an excellent restaurant [check to see if they serve on Saturday]. Think Guggenheim SoHo may still be closed. Re: Gotham...a few folks on this board answered my post re: quality. They highly endoresed the restaurant and now, so do I!
Elaine

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:07 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Gotham is wonderful. Call for reservations now and be willing to eat at 10:00. It's worth it.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 09:50 AM
Cheryl

Gotham Bar & Grill has a $19.99 lunch special all year round. I have never been there, but it is supposed to be very good. Stay away from the diamond district unless you know someone there. There are two districts, one on Canal Street and one on 47 Street. I don't shop on either.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:22 PM
Marion

Diamond District 47th between 5th and 6th. fun to brouse. if shopping, do some comparison shopping first. Some shops/stalls may be closed on Sat. Know your prices at home if you are going for some "serious" item.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:26 PM
steve

1.Jazzlue Note-131 W.3rd St, Iridium-44 W. 63rd St., Village Vanguard-178 7th Ave so. 2.brunch:Mesa Grill, Union Square Cafe 3. Gotham Bar & Grill is great 4. TWINS is closed 5. think Guggenheim Soho still closed 6. Buyer beware.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:31 PM
diana

Thanks for all the good info.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 07:42 PM
margot

If you're looking for a museum visit, go to the Whitney for a retrospective of the first half of the 20th century (2nd half of the 20th century takes over in September). Check out sidewalk.com and newyorkcitysearch.com for stuff to do.