Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York New Year's for 30-somethings post-dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from Boston, spending New Year's in NY, staying Midtown East. The whole family is coming (my 72 year old mom, 6 month old daughter, dh, sis and me-- all in our early 30s). We're all having dinner at 6:30 at Pastis. Then we're going back to the apartment to drop off my mom and baby, and then sis, dh and I need plans after that. Looking for something fun, but not too young/cheesy/clubby, and definitely no waiting on line. I'm too old for that. I would like a table, and will order food and drinks, but don't really want to have to buy a whole second meal. I'd prefer someplace I can just order whatever I want rather than prix fixe, since we'll be having dinner at 6:30. I have a 7:30 reservation at Modern Bar, which goes through midnight. Prix fixe $110 or so. But I'm not sure we can make it at 7:30 and they want you there by that time, so it may be a no go. (Dh is a surgeon, and may be in town early, but may not get in until later.) I'd prefer to go somewhere around 9:30 and stay through midnight. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Someone suggested Caroline's comedy club. Hadn't really had a comedy club in mind, but thoughts on that idea are welcome.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM

There is no way you will make it to Modern Bar by 7:30 from a 6:30 reservation at Pastis. You will have to wait at Pastis most likely anyway. It's always a zoo there. Where in Midtown East will you be? There is a new club (I haven't been but I live in the area) called East Side Social Club that is supposed to be cool. A lot of the bars around that area are kind of cheesy and/or filled with "younger" people that may not fit your bill so look up that option and/or there are places like Parnell's, Butler's, etc that are neighborhood places that don't get too crowded if you just want to go and have a few drinks.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, skiergirl. I will check those out. Would it also work to do a place not in Midtown east with, say, a 9:30 reservation? My dh thinks midtown east isn't the best place, anyway...? It seems really corporate and not so fun when we stay there (we stay at my work's corporate apt).
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

We could back up our Pastis reservation as early as 5, but I still don't think my husband would definitely make Modern by 7:30 so it is probably a no go. I just made it so we have a reservation SOMEHWERE.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:44 AM

I think you have to rethink exactly what you want to do for the evening. It seems a bit crazy to me to eat dinner twice just because it's New Year's Eve. If you want to have dinner with Mom, do it at a time that's good for everyone and then plan the rest of the evening. A comedy club or some place for music seems to make sense to me. You could also go to a movie or an off Broadway show. Do you know about the fireworks in Central Park at midnight? Or head to Brooklyn for some drinks and then go to the fireworks in Prospect Park.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM

PS if you do want to go to another restaurant, there are something like 500 restaurants on opentable.com with availability at 9:30-9:45. If you narrow it to midtown east and/or upper east side, it's more manageable at 75.

For comedy, Gotham Comedy Club and Comix both have shows ~ 10-10:30 with availability.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:20 AM
mp

here's a list of things to do on New year's eve from NY Magazine - maybe something will strike your fancy/work with your schedule.
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2009/1..._eve_opti.html
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 01:45 PM

If you want something different with small crowds, go to Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. Try out some Russian cuisine, caviar, vodka, etc. Check out the snow on the beach. You might even run into Russians going for a swim as the Polar Bears do that all the time.
After Times Square I always go to the Port Authority to grab a nice mushroom burger, then bathroom, then subway home.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM

So where'd you go???