New York Mass Trans Help Needed - LaGuardia to Long Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get from the Marriott LaGuardia Airport Hotel to Roslyn, New York (Long Island) using mass trans. I looked online but the number of options (trains, bus, public, private) was overwhelming. I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to begin. Is the train the best option? If so, where could I find schedules and maps? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM

I made a similar trip a few years ago, going from LaGuadia to Syosset, Long Island. It was a difficult trip. As I recall, I took a bus from the airport to Jamaica Station, and from there the Long Island Railroad to Syosset, where I had to phone for a taxi. The return trip was even worse, because there was over an hour wait for the bus from Jamaica Station to the airport, and the Jamaica bus stop was not a pleasant place to spend an hour.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have rented a car. It would have been worth the extra expense.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JoyceL! I appreciate your feedback (particularly the warning about waiting alone at Jamaica Station.)

I am really surprised how difficult it is to get to LI from LaGuardia. I am always hearing about how great mass trans is in NYC.

I am also shocked that http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/home.html does not have any kind of "Trip Planner" to help facilitate the use of mass trans.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Try this page for more info:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsmain.HTM
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:05 PM

First of all - you are not getting from LGA to Long Island - because LGA is ON Long Island - although in Queens rather than Nassau.

Second, Nassau is all suburban and the mass transit is aimed at getting people from the suburbs into and out of the city - to their jobs. Inter-suburb mass transit, or to/fro the airports is almost non-existent.

The only two realistic options are to rent a car or take a car service that you arrange in advance. (NYC cabs have the option of taking people to the suburbs or not - and often won't - and even if they do, frequently don;t know where they're going - so you need be able to give them exact directions. I believe the fare would be on the meter to the city line and double the meter after that.)

Roslyn is about 30 minutes from LGA.

A car service arranged in both directions might be your best bet.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 06:32 PM
mp

To actually answer the question -

To get to Roslyn by public transport form a La Guardia area hotel, you could easily take a cab to the nearest Long Island Rail Road station, which is the Forest Hills stop. It is a less than 15 minute (average traffic time) cab ride. You could then get a LIRR train directly to Roslyn - look on the LIRR site - (www.lirr.org) for the Oyster Bay branch schedule. There is also a phone number for cabs in Roslyn once you reach there. There is also a link to the local roslyn bus schedule.
Not exactly easy, but do able.

And as NYtraveler says - you're traveling to Long Island - a place made possible because of the automobile. It's not part of New York City.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 09:16 PM

I agree with MP - it's exactly what I would have suggested. Although, if you insist on mass transit all the way, you could take a bus to the subway - I think you'd be close enough to the 82nd Street bus which would get you to the 7 train at 82nd & Broadway, which you would take 1 stop to 74th & Broadway, then transfer to the E,F,R,G,Q to Forest Hills. When you get out of the subway, it's about 2 blocks to the LIRR station.

Much much easier to take a car service - mass transit will take you a good 45 minutes, a car will take you 10.

Good luck!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM

As others have said, LI is suburbia and except for getting to and from NYC by the LIRR, the mass transit system is poor. If you need to get around once you get to Roslyn, you really should have a car anyway.

But why are you staying out at LGA airport? If you're flying into LGA and then have a meeting or event in Roslyn the next day, you'd be much better staying in the city (cab from LGA to midtown takes maybe 30 mins and about $25, bus costs a bit less) and then take the LIRR from Penn station to Rosyln. I know this seems silly just looking at a map to go away from your ultimate destination, but the city will be much more convenient without a car. Easier access to the LIRR, better dining options.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am heading out today. I will post if I find anything interesting!