New York in September

Search

New York in September

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York in September

I'm treating my husband and two young adults kids to a weekend in NYC for my husband's 60th. We already have Yankees tickets. But I have a number of questions:

What's the best way to get to and from the stadium if we stay in Midtown?

Any recommendations on reasonably priced hotels?

We've dined at Fresco by Scotto before and liked it but I'd want a change for this trip. Suggestions?

I'm trying to get on the list for tickets for The Daily Show or Saturday Night Live. Comments?

Thanks for any help.

c
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
dmlove

I'm trying to get on the list for tickets for The Daily Show or Saturday Night Live. Comments?

Yes. When are you going? Because if it's in summer, the shows will likely be on hiatus. (happened to us re Saturday Night Live, which was end of July).

Any recommendations on reasonably priced hotels?

What do you consider reasonable? One room or two? Share beds or not?

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Take the subway to Yankee Stadium.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Oops. Sorry. Thought I had mentioned that the Yankees tickets are for September.

c
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Clearly:

September is a lovely month to visit NYC.

Tell us more about the hotel you would like for you and your two adult children and you will get lots more help.

1) How many rooms?
2) Private or shared bathroom?
3) What is your hotel room budget per night? Reasonable doesn't mean a thing when it comes to NYC

Sandy
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM

When in September?

The later in the season the closer to the last game. I hear tickets for the last game at the Stadium are already going for a $1,000 each.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Subway or the Yankee Clipper ferry are your options for transport to the stadium.

When in Sept. and what kind of hotel budget? Will you all share 1 room? Suite? 2 rooms?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Depending on when in September, Saturday Night Live may not be up and running yet--usually the new season begins later in the month.

If you are coming for a "weekend" The Daily Show may not be an option. It is taped on weekdays around 5PM. Once you have tickets, you must show up and stand on line, arriving 1.5-2 hours ahead for the best seating. The studio is small so most seats give a reasonable view.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Clearly:

Hello - do you still help or are you all sorted?

Sandy
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Not sure how old your young adult kids are, but many of the shows taping in NYC have age restrictions. I would inquire before pursuing further.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:27 AM

quikbook.com and kayak.com are good places to shop for hotels. Prices will depend on when in Sept., the beginning of the month usually being a lot cheaper. Without some sort of budget, it's hard to know what you consider reasonably priced. Fresco by Scotto is not a cheap restaurant (and not all that good imo) so I'm assuming for a b'day celebration, you want something nice. The Hudson is a nice, somewhat trendy hotel near the southwest corner of Central Park. Their smallest rooms are very small though. YOu might have a look at the Aka suites Central Park. They might have a 2 bedroom suite for you.

The Affinia.com hotels are suites, some have 2 bedrooms. The Kimberly and the Best Western Hospitality are other suite hotels with some 2 bedroom options.

The Courtyard Midtown East has good sized rooms, some with 2 queen beds and a sofabed.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry... thanks for all your help so far. Things got crazy here and I wasn't able to reply for a while.

To answer your questions:

... we already have our Yankees tickets for September 19. I thought we could take Amtrak from DC to NY on the 18th and stay until the 20th.

... I was hoping to get matinee tickets for a show on the 20th before we depart.

... The guys are in their early 20's, so entrance to places isn't a problem.

... Unfortunately, The Daily Show isn't taping on Thursday. If I could swing coming on Wednesday, I would be eligible, but college is in session and one of the guys is still in college.

... Reasonable in terms of hotel? Still trying to decide price-wise. Two bedrooms would be nice, although I realize that increases the price. Not opposed to a suite-type situation.

I hope that helps explain this further.
c
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM

The 4 and D trains go to Yankee stadium. They are packed with fans before and after the games and are perfectly safe.
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM

You can take the Yankee Clipper from the west side piers - but you do need reservations -as it sells out in advance. More fun thatn the subway - depending on the weather.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the note about the train and the ferry. I was wondering about their safety -- especially since we'd never done that before.
c