New York in May - Hotels and HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Brazil and will be spending 2 weeks in New York City in May. I need suggestions as to good inexpensive hotels and suggestions as to how to get around to the main attractions.
I'm searching the obvious websites too, but would really appreciate help from who has done this before. Thanks
Silvana
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:13 AM

The fastest, cheapest and easiest way to get to the main attractions in New York is via subway. If you're going to be here for 2 weeks it sounds like you will have time to go beyond Manhattan. I suggest you consider either a couple of day trips - perhaps up the Hudson to some of the histroic areas or to the resorts on Long Island. another option is to conisder spending a couple of days in Washington - if you haven't been there yet. All of the above are easily doable by train (MetroNorth, LIRR or Amtrak).

For hotels I would suggest you do a search on this site. Priceline, etc are not good for a 2-week stay. For that long a stay you may want to consider one of the suite hotels so you're not cooped up in a typically tiny room. Do a search above and there will be a lot of info. You may be able to negotiate a special rate for that long a stay. Also, there are a couple of services that rent apartments short-term in residential areas. Also look for that above - it may give you more room for the same money as a hotel.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:01 AM

For a visitor's 2-week stay, it might be interesting to use Priceline after all, bidding for several shorter stays of 3, 4, or 5 days, even choosing different parts of the city to stay in. A few days midtown, a few days downtown, etc.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM

To get around, you will want to use the subway and buses. You can buy a 7 day metrocard for $21. This allows you unlimited rides on subways and buses. You can get information at www.mta.info and click on "NYC Transit"
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:08 PM

Some websites people like are
hotres.com
quikbook.com
hotels.com

There's a group of budget hotels that are well regarded called applecorehotels.com (All these hotels have chain names but don't assume other hotels with the same names are as good.) Their Comfort Inn is in a particularly good location.

If you don't mind moving, I think the idea of staying in 2 or even 3 different locations is a good way to get a feel for different parts of the city. Midtown (east or west) is where most tourists stay. But you might also like staying downtown or uptown. What's your budget? What are your interests?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:05 AM

When comparing prices on hotels, also check the actual hotel websites. Sometimes they offer special deals that are better than the booking sites. Also, with a 2 week stay, maybe if you copntact the hotel directly, they would offer a special rate.