New York in a day. Is it possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and myself are going to Orlando for eight days in February and are considering going to New York for the day, hopefully flying from Orlando int.We've seen flights that leave approx 7am and return around 10pm. What's the general opinion ? Is it possible or would it be far too tiring ?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Weekday or weekend? If a weekday, I say no way! You'll spend more time in the airport, clearing security, and getting to and from the city, than you will seeing any sites. A weekend would be a little better but I still think you're stretching it. What if the flight from MCO is delayed or cancelled or bumped? THen you've lost the entire trip - would the tickets be refundable? If so then, maybe, because you can at least just cancel and cut your losses if you don't get out of MCO at 7 sharp.

Also, you say "return at 10" does that mean leaving New York at 7PM? If so, on a weekday, you'll have to leave the city by 4 to get to the airport for 5 to have 2 hrs to check in and clear security. A 7:00 flight out of MCO should get in around 9:30 and figure you'll gbe in the city by no later than 11:00. Tough to do much in 5 hours...
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Possible yes, if you pick 2 places to see, have your meals planned and transportation lined up ahead of time. Will you arrive in NY at 7am? Remember that you have to be at NY airports about 1 1/2 hours before take off and you must give yourself 1 hour + to allow for travel to the airport. Do it. Why not. Get a little taste of the city.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:03 AM

No, it is not realistic. If next Feb. is anything like this Feb. you will be sitting in airports all day - weather at that time of the year is too unpredictable in NYC to make this trip feasible. Try Miami or maybe Atlanta for a day trip from Orlando if you plan to fly.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Simon, I suspect that you're not a U.S. citizen and don't have a sense of scale about the country.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM

no way simon, pick one thing you want to see in NYC and you may be able to get it in, in one day. NYC has way too much to see.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Cassandra

The distance involved is roughly the same as spending 8 days in Warsaw or Stockholm and popping over to London for the day. I suppose if you think spending a total of 11-12 hrs. traveling at least (3 hrs. flight time plus 2 hr. check-in each way, plus time to and from the airports) and getting up very early and going to bed very late -- not to mention the worry about actually making your flight back -- is worth the remaining 4 or so hours you'd have in this incredible city, then do it, by all means.

Or consider making it a 2-day trip, which is a heckuva lot more doable -- up one day, back the next (just avoid Mondays if you want to find museums open). Frankly, if you are trying to combine NY and Disney Insanity in one trip, I'd certainly spend more time in NYC than in Orlando!!! But that's just grumpy old me.

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I would not recommend this in February. Not only could unpredictable weather impact flights to and from (it's not unusual for the airport runways to be CLOSED for a while due to a snow storm), it will likely be bitterly cold and dreary the day to happen to visit New York. At the very least, you'd need to bring a heavy winter coat, if not boots, gloves, scarves, hats, the works!

That said, if you can land in NYC by 11AM and get into the city by Noon, you'd have time for a "loop" (about three hours without getting off) on the Grayline (they have a website) double deckers. Last bus starts around at 5:30 PM, so you could even hop off at an attraction (Empire State Building for the view from the top, for example) or in a neighborhood (for a walk around). Then, you could have dinner before heading back to the airport for your flight.

You'd want to investigate which airport would be most efficient (Newark, JFK or Laguardia) for getting to and from the city. (This is addressed on various other threads herein.) While traffic is generally not a major consideration in the evening, you just never know about road construction or accidents which, obviously, could create a considerable delay.

I, personally, wouldn't do it (or take a one-day trip to Paris from London), but if this may be your only opportunity to have a look at NYC, or if you just really want to give it a try, it wouldn't be impossible. (I'm sure people do this for business all the time.) You'd just have to be aware of the contingencies and plan accordingly.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:44 AM

Boy, am I in the minority here!! I'd say go for it, but plan on a specific area, say Midtown or Wall St or SoHo/Greenwich Village. Leave your baggage at the airport, grab a cab and explore! Make sure you have a good map and some idea of what you want to see. Plan on returning back to the airport no later than 8pm-- which would then give you a full afternoon with an early dinner (say 5pm??, & yes many NY restaurants are open then). The only 'fly in the ointment' would be weather-- Feb in NYC can see some pretty bad snowstorms, but beyond that I couldn't imagine sitting in an airport for 5 or 6 hours just killing time when NYC is out there!!
I've done simiar 'quick trips' overseas when travelling thru CPN, CDG, LGW etc and have never regretted the fast trips into the cities. While some will say, you really can't see a city in such a short time, I say, not entirely true, while you'll not experience the full offerings of the city, a taste is better than nothing!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:08 AM

I don't think it is a good idea. The weather is going to be a HUGE factor. You are also going to have to pack a whole set of winter clothing (coat, boots, etc.). Not to mention that February is probably the most expensive month to fly back and forth between NY and FL because the kids have a week off that month & it is a popular month for the northerners to escape the cold. You are going to spend a fortune in cabs & flights to spend 5 hours in the city? And, if you are with your family (3 or more persons?) You may need more than one cab to get anywhere and travelling as a group is much slower, no matter where you are. Crazy.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Don't waste your money. You can't do a day-trip to New York in February or any other month; optimally, you could arrive at the airport at 10 a.m., get a taxi immediately and be mid-town before noon. You'll have no home-base, and have to be back at the airport by 8. Is it worth it?
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:13 AM

The answer is very simple - don't even think about it !!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:22 AM

I agree that it's inadvisable in that it's overly expensive and you'll have so little time there. If traveling from a distance and it's a first visit, I consider three full days to be the minimum for getting a good NYC experience. Best to save it for another trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:33 AM
dln

NYC in February? I'd sooner go to Miami!

Simon, everyone is right to be concerned with the weather. It can be really iffy. It's not uncommon for flights to be delayed for hours because of icy runways. And the wind whipping down NYC streets can be fiercesome.

Is there any way that you can "play it by ear?" You know, wait until you arrive in Orlando, assess the weather up north, and then make reservations for a flight if there are no snowstorms? If you have your heart set on it, it is doable, though certainly not preferable.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Why not spend eight days in New York and one day in Orlando?
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM

To rephrase Rusty's comment, I consider myself quite the trooper when it comes to travelling and fitting things in, but I wouldn't even dream of doing this.