Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Your opinion about a few quirky questions about last minute NYC trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been thinking about a trip to NYC this weekend to celebrate my husband's 50th and son's 16th birthdays. It will cost plenty of money of course and just not sure we will have as good of a time going in the cold wintery weather. Museums are not a big hit so eventhough that is a great indoor activity I am not planning on that. We had planned on doing the Grey Line bus tour so we can see alot but is it a drag in this weather? I guess I want to be reassured of the city still being great fun even in real cold weather. Finding time to make a trip like this is tough.

I was hoping (but since this is last minute,didn't plan for it)of getting tickets to Hairspray or Producers. When I checked ticketmaster for 1 ticket to Hairspray this morning it was available. What do you think of this strategy - hoping to purchase 4 individual tix for this Sat. performance? Do you think it is likely or was it a total fluke that 1 was available this morning?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Wow, if you're going to New York just to take a bus tour of the city and see a play, you may want to consider waiting for better weather (the forecast for this weekend is for bitterly cold weather) when you can do more, and perhaps add a day or two to your schedule.

A Gray Line (or Circle Line boat tour) trip around the city is a good grounding in seeing New York, but you also need to "touch" the city, which means getting out and walking places. That's hard to do in just a weekend because there's a lot of New York to explore.

Tickets to "The Producers" were sold out roughly 20 minutes after they went on sale and are available now only at extortionate prices in the aftermarket. I'm surprised "Hairspray" is sold out; you might want to try the Sunday afternoon show to see if tickets are available for that performance.

I love New York, but thinking about it, if I wanted to go somewhere just for the weekend in mid-January and price weren't much of an object, I'd suggest someplace warmer, like Miami.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I agree with Neal. I personally can't see going there this weekend unless absolutely necessary. NYC is enjoyed by walking (and "touching" as Neal put it) and I think your memories would include frozen toes more than anything. Wait. Give them each a card with an "IOU" for a trip to NYC next chance you get, when it's warmer.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Getting tix to Hairspray or Producers will be nearly impossible, as those are two of the hottest shows right now. Unless...did you check Ebay?

Are there any other shows that you'd be interested in seeing? Because you can buy discounted tickets the day of a show at TKTS...these are for shows that still have seats left. I recently bought Thoroughly Modern Millie tickets this way.

As for the cold...if it were as cold as this past Saturday (<10 degrees), I would say definitely don't come here...I couldn't even make it out of my apartment! The weather forecast calls for a high of 27 on Saturday, which is still pretty darn cold, but survivable if you wear mittens (IMO, gloves wouldn't be warm enough), a hat, a scarf around your face and a long, heavy coat. I would never dream of riding on the double-decker bus in this weather (that's like riding a convertible with the top down in the cold!) but if you're really excited to visit a place, sometimes you don't feel the cold so much.

Have you thought about attending a sporting event since you'll be with two males? I'm not sure if the Knicks or the Rangers are in town, but it's worth a check.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM
BAK

I was going to say go anyway, but then I looked up the weather forecast.

So now I'm on-side with the IOU idea. Have some special NY style dinner at home, instead. New York strip steaks, or hot bogs and bagels, and rent a couple of NY-based movies.

And get a good NY guide book to give to the two guys to share, for planning a weekend when the weather is better. And buy a Sunday New York Times to assist in planning for when the weather is better.

BAK
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Oh my gosh re: cold this weekend. I will have to agree with the others that you should visit when it's not so insanely cold. I, unwillingly, went out on Saturday evening for a little while and, truthfully, I can't remember the last time it was that horribly cold. The wind was blowing so hard and it was so cold that I got dizzy and had to go back home (i'm in my early 30s and in very good shape). I can't imagine being out all day/evening in weather like that.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I agree with all the other posters....wait for warmer weather. If you were museum people and you already had theater tickets....fine. But since neither is the case, I'd postpone the trip. As Neal said, to truly enjoy NYC, you must "touch" the city...and that's tought to do in cold weather.
As for theater tickets, yes, Neal, Hairspray is indeed selling out. Juldie, did you mean that they only had one single ticket for Hairspray? Occasional singles are a possibility. Also, last minute cancellations are possible if you are will stand in line at the theater. But, then, that would mean standing out in the cold!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. We live in burbs of Boston and thought of spending a night in our city. Urinetown is playing at The Colonial and maybe this is the best bet.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:56 AM

while doing as BAK suggested, don't forget to listen to Billy Joel's NY State of Mind while chowing down on a NY steak [don't forget a soft pretzel].

Seriously though, last year when my family and I visited around Xmas time... it was freezing!!! we ran through looking at the tree and the windows... and finally could care less about seeing anything else that was OUTSIDE [and yet our reason for being there..... we too did not want to "museum' this time around] but THIS YEAR... the weather cooperated beautifully and we stay out much later than we normally wanted... and really had a chance to take in and "taste" NY in the twilight.... the bonus for me though was while we had a great time that night, so did 100,000 other people.... we stayed on 45th midtown... early the next morning [a Monday] I walked to the tree and got to enjoy it all to myself!! I almost cried it was so beautiful.... with few skaters and no crowds...... the tourists were watching katie Couric and the news!!! I enjoyed my fruit cup and croissant and had a personal moment between me and NY........ thus.... visit when the forecast is above 55.....