Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the best ways to see New York in a few hours?

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two friends and I are arriving to New York through JFK at 6 am on Friday the 27th, we would love to see New York for a few hours since our flight to paris is until 6pm. What are our options as far as transportation? And places to see in the big apple?
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM

I was in New York in 1998 and loved it. Times square is aamzing at night, Empire states building, Statur of Liberty. If you only have a few hours, I would reccomend a boat tour of the whole city. We did that and loved it!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 02:41 AM

A cab between JFK and Manhattan is $52.50 plus tolls & tip, for a total of $65-$70.

Others will detail the way via public transportation, which I don't know.

I'd pick a couple of places that you want to see, plot them on a map, use www.hopstop.com to figure out a subway route between them.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 03:03 AM

For a flight to Paris at 6 pm the airline will want you at the airport by 3 p - which means leaving the city by ab or car service by 2 pm. And a flight that arrives at 6 am will get you into the city no earlier than 8 am (and you will have to head to the one place at the airport that allows you check luggage.

So you will actually have about 8 hours in the city. I would pick a couple of sights that give you an overview - like Top of the Rock and the 2 hour boat cruise - and then give yourselves time for a decent lunch.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 03:58 AM

nytraveler, Seems like 6 hours, not 8.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Depends on your priorities and what you want to see. You can purchase tickets ahead of time and not stand in line. I would suggest the top of the rock. It is amazing! Plus you would be right there in at Rockefeller center. You could do ride and see the statue of liberty. We did that and it was a very nice informative ride with lots of good info. I think it was called Liberty Cruise. You will be very hard pressed for time. I would be careful about getting back to the airport on time.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Here are a few suggestions:

I'd take the Airtrain + Long Island Railroad into the city to avoid rush hour traffic that could trap you in a cab for over an hour.

I'd get out at Penn Station and walk up to Times Square, where I'd have breakfast.

Before leaving for the trip, I'd do some research and identify 3 things that are must-sees. (There is absolutely no way to "see" NYC in a few hours.)

Then I'd do those things. Top things to do include walking around in Central Park (which you could do in the morning before other things open), a view from a tall building (Top of the Rock is less of a time-waster than the Empire State Building), and a major art museum. But maybe you aren't into museums. New York has many other things to do, including having the best lunch of your life at a top restaurant (though admittedly not a cheap option). But I will not make any specific suggestions until you do some research on your own and identify the kinds of things YOU want to see and do. Our suggestions are basically meaningless if they don't fall in line with your own interests.

My advice: Avoid Hop-on/Hop-off buses since you'll be stuck in traffic for hours and not really do anything ... though you may see plenty. But if that's the thing you want to do, then do it.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I wouldn't of ask if I didn't want suggestions!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

asked!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I think we know why you asked.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Be careful doing this! My sister tried this very thing on her way to London and missed her flight. It ended up being a very costly trip to NYC, if you can call a few hrs running crazy through the city a trip. NYC is amazing, there is so much to see and do, I've been four times and could still go back for a week. If you feel you must see the city I would not spend time at museums etc., there are wonderful ones in NY, but you are on your way to Paris where you will get your fill of art
I like the suggestion of Central Park in the am, you will only be able to see a little as you could spend a good portion of your day at the park, a trip up 30 rock for a view, then walk around the area. Shops at 5th ave. if you are a shopper or the Time Square - Broadway area if that interests you more, not near as fun in the day as it is at night but still interesting.