Reload this Page >

New York - gift for person visiting

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:14 AM
pauline

It is my niece's birthday in a couple of weeks and she is visiting New York in January. I would like to buy her a gift that she can use on her holiday. I tried to order gift cards from several of the New York stores but they don't ship internationally. I also looked at getting tickets for a broadway show but they are too expensive (even discounted).

I want to spend up to 75 dollars. Any ideas?

Thanks
Pauline
UK

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:26 AM
J

Can you get an Amex gift card in the UK? Then it's like a gift certificate she can use anywhere that takes Amex.

If all else fails, give her cash with a nice note. It will be greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:36 AM
jvs

I live in NYC and just today I noticed that they are now selling a super metro pass. It costs $35(US) and gives you one week of subway fare and admission to all the major museums. Go to the website http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/index.html
I forgot the name of the promotion- but maybe you can review the website or even call the toll free #.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:43 AM
xxx

Go to Sephora.com and buy her a gift certificate. They are based out of Paris so I don't think the international thing will matter.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
xx

For Pete's sake just give her some Pounds and let her decide. The pound goes far in the US...

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Lindy

I agree with jvs -- a Metro Pass is very useful and can be ordered on line.It works on both the subway and buses. The combo with museum admission would be super!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Woody

jvs, great suggestion about the super Metro Pass that includes museum admission. I tried the MTA website but could not find any information about it. Does anyone have any further details, such as the name of the promotion, how long the pass is good for, and museums included? Thanks!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:42 AM
xxx

While I agree the Metro Pass is a good thing, if the girl is under 25, I'm not sure she would appreciate it.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:50 AM
jvs

I just called the MTA office and they claim to have no knowledge of this promotion. (Strange, though, I saw the brand new ad on the train just a few days ago). I will keep you informed if I find out more. The 7 day unlimited subway pass ($17) is still nice to have and you can purchase it on line.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:42 AM
k

A camera, a journal to write down all about her trip and a warm scarf, it will be cold in NY in January!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Susan

JVS, you might be thinking of the Citypass, that gives you admission to a number of museums and other sights. It doesn't include transportation though, that I've been able to determine, but there is a link to mta from the Citypass website. An all-in-one museum/mta pass would be a great idea!

citypass.net

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Sarah

I agree being young like that the cash will do her well

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:18 AM
jvs

When I called the MTA today they said that they dont offer the "city pass" anymore- Could this be right? Or do you know where one can still buy them?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Randy

Many museums in New York work on a suggested donation program. Pay what you want. If they don't operate this way everyday as the Met does they operate this way one day a week. Guggenheim pay as you please Friday night. If she can get buy paying 1 dollar to get in no need to purchase a pass.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Dawn

Hi Pauline - how about a good pair of hip walking shoes. Must be black - do you have an Arche store in the UK? Of course I just love my back jacket from Marks and Sparks...I wear it around the NY streets all the time. The Metro card is a great idea as well.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Jeff

JVS: I visited NYC this weekend and bought a Citypass at the Guggenheim. Good for admissiom at several museums, ESB and Harbor cruise. MTA pass was not included-I bought one at GST for unlimited use and used it extensively. The Citypass was $38/each-we used the whole thing so it was well worth the money.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:19 PM
resident

How about a restaurant gift certificate? You can call most places and charge whatever amount you want to your credit card.

BTW, how old is your niece?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:21 PM
jvs

Jeff- Im glad to hear they are still doing this, I should get one for myself!