New York City, Yankees and more

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 12 year old daughter and I are traveling from eastern CT to Yankee stadium on May 5,2009 for the Yankees- Redsox game. In the past we drove to the game and then drove home the same day. This time I would like to go see some sights, such as the Empire State building and Statue Of Liberty then go to the game that night.

We have never been to to New York City other than to go to Yankee stadium. I am thinking I will get a room for the night so I don't have to drive the 2 1/2 hrs home after the game.

I guess my question is, is this practical? And where to stay so I am not having to drive once I am in the city. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

My daughter will be missing sometime from school but she is a great student and I think going to NYC will be very rewarding for her plus some quality time with her dad is priceless.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM

There are tons of threads with hotel recommendations for New York City. You will probably want to post your budget if you want suggestions on this thread.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

I would like to keep the hotel in the $200-$300 range. As far as a budget for the day, well I don't have one. Having never been to NYC I don't know how much I can get done and still see a baseball game at night.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM

the budget I was referring to was your hotel budget.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
J62

If you can swing it then definitely get a hotel for the night. After a morning drive then seeing sights having a place to crash for a little while before the game would be nice.

Something to consider if you want to make this a 1day trip. The new Yankee stadium will be serviced by MetroNorth RR (in addition to regular subway from Manhattan) - it's on the MNRR Hudson line, but I believe they will have game day service on the New Haven and or Harlem River lines.

Not sure when service starts, but you could train in from New Haven and back again after the game if the new station is finished.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM

If you don;t want to drive into the city - and pay $40 for parking, you might want to leave your car at one of the large MetroNorth parking lots - perhaps Stanford - and take the train into the city. Then drop your bags at the hotel and you're free.

You should plan on getting to the Stadium about 2 hours before the game - to have a chance to see some batting practice and find your seats. It takes a long time for 55,000 people to get in -esp with all the extra security (large bags are not allowed and purses will be searched).
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM

You have picked the 2 most time consuming sights to see in NYC--Statue of Liberty and ESB. If you really want to visit SOL, buy tickets in advance online, order a monument pass so you can go inside and perhaps plan on going first thing in the morning after the game. Otherwise, just take a cruise (either the free Staten Island ferry or nywaterway.com or one of the circleline.com cruise to pass it by).

ESB is also a long wait and you should buy tickets online in advance. Many people like the experience of Top of the Rock better and there's usually not a wait.

As to a hotel, you should decide what you're going to do about driving vs train to get here. There are no hotels near Yankee stadium so staying in Manhattan and using subway or Metro North means you can theoretically stay anywhere.