New York City Vac. Update

Apr 7th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

New York City Vac. Update

Well, thank you all for previous post that I read to prepare for a Easter Break NYC trip with 2 college sons.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station. It was never mentioned in the books. Tips: I booked after looking at internet prices, reviewed special offer codes and called the hotel direct. Got great prices, breakfast each morning, which in New York with 2 college boys, that saved me $100 for 4 each morning. It was a buffet, quick and a nice view.
Grand Central is one door away, we split up after dinner, I sent them to the Meat Packing district, we went to Greenwich Village for jazz. I bought Fodors NY and NY Times books for reference.

I did buy, as you suggested, tickets for the
Statue of Liberty Promanade Tour and Boat trip on line ahead of time.
Thank you so much for the info. The line for tickets were 30 minutes long, the line for the cruise with tickets was 2 hours long, after reaching the island the line for promondate tour with pre-booked tickets was 45 minutes for security check.

So, we cut out the 30 minute ticket line, my kids, which I am not proud to say, cut in the 2 hour line for the cruise to shorten it to 30 mn, once arriving to the statue observ & prom. tour ticket holders had to wait another 45 minutes for security. So even though you had pre paid tickets your wait would be 2.45 minutes plus 15 min boat ride before your tour. Thank god it was cold, or it would of been horrible.

My sons were so happy that I booked the tour in advance. I booked the 1/2 hour tour but you were able to go to the upper level, and tour yourself. Everyone else had to walk on the outside of the Statue. It is free, it is just limited, so book in advance for the longest tour and do what you want when you get there. I thought we would be stuck for 1 1/2 hours if we did the longer tour, but it is a self tour. We were able to see the upper deck by just going with that crowd,it was sold out when I booked. My sons thanked me for being able to see the inside of the statue. Do it now, probably in a couple of years you won't be able to do that.

I wanted to "wow" them the first night, so I took them to time square, and we ate at the "W". They loved the location and the sleek cool look. (If you don't want to spend the money, just go to the bar, and people watch, it is awesome.
We also ate at Capital Grill, their favorite, besides lunch at the Four Seasons after a carriage ride thru Central Park.

We had Easter Dinner at the Rainbow Room Grill, Rockf. Center. The view was awesome, the service okay, the food was very good, just alittle bit of a let down from our previous spots.

Warning: Dinner for the four of us usually ran toooooo much, probably double Calif. prices. One could experience these places on liquid beverages alone. However, my son told me to tell you that a beer is $9 ,our cocktails ran $14 a piece.

My sons loved China Town for the Rol, and jac, watches. Thank you for the infor on
Century 21. They both bought alot of stuff. Mike bought a Versa. shirt and I bought some shoes I wanted to buy in Macys last week, for half the price.

We did use the sub and bought the $10 Metro Card, we used all but 1 trip on each card which we gifted to someone in need. We found the taxis (yellow cab) to be honest and very reasonable. We had an apt for a tour at Wall Street, took a towncar instead of yellow cab, he didn't know where he was going, it took us 1/2 hour longer, he only knew JFK to Man. Ask before you board, we had an apt. and had to run to make the apt. even though we left 45 minutes early for a 15 minute ride.

We bought tickets in advance for Empire State Building, the most helpful advise was the phone number for the line. We drove by twice with long lines and decided it wasn't worth it, (the rainbow room was almost as high), and I called the phone number 4 times during our stay and it was a 2 hour wait. That saved us the trip. So I gave them to a family having breakfast at our hotel. There is a $60 act of kindness, but was happy to do it and happy to have had the infor. not to waste our time in a 2 hour line.

My sons 20 and 23, really enjoyed the UN TOUR, I was surprised about that, they liked the NBC tour, go there in advance and get tickets for the next day.

They went to Lotus and Rhone Club, we went to the Zinc Bar (world music)as well as the Blue Note for some awesome jazz. We all broke the fun meter.

For my husband and I to spend 6 days with our sons, with no friends stopping in, no girlfriends, no cell phone use,no daily drama, just touring and laughing together was priceless!

My sons said it was their best trip ever (they have been all over the world).

It doesn't matter what your budget is, even if it is a campsite (some of my favorite memories) just take the time!

Time is not money, it is memories!

Cat.....

p.s. don't bust me on my grammar or spelling, I'm tooooo tired.
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Great tips for my upcoming trip!

Steve
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Great report catathome, you are making me need to start planning my next trip there!
Apr 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Fantastic report. What phone number at the ESB??? This is first I've heard of this. Thanks for sharing.
Apr 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM

212-736-3100
Will tell you wait time and visibility.
Apr 7th, 2005, 09:31 AM

"For my husband and I to spend 6 days with our sons, with no friends stopping in, no girlfriends, no cell phone use,no daily drama, just touring and laughing together was priceless!

That kind of makes all the other stuff unimportant, doesn't it? It is rare for a family with two college age offstpring to still be able to share such a vacation, how wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.
Apr 13th, 2005, 03:17 PM

thanks so much for the report. I have been trying to find somewhere to go with my sons (18 and 23) and were worried they might be bored with NYC if they couldn't party.

Where did they go at night? Were they comfortable doing it? My sons are pretty sophisticated so they wouldn't be afraid to go on their own. Did the younger one have problems getting in because of his age or was he "prepared" for that issue as most of the kids I know are. (Please no lectures on kids today.)
Apr 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM

tt
Apr 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Sorry this took so long to reply, I just got back from Germany yesterday.

Yes he was prepared, but it did not seem to be a problem. They went to the TriBEC region, by cab. They also spent a few nights in Time Square area. They took cabs, they are really cheap, just tell them only to take a yellow cab. Because we stayed at the Hyatt, they could of walked home from Time Square or could take the subway, it was right outside our hotel door, I read at night you should take the middle cars though,where the conductor stays. They were not afraid at all and were out until 4 a.m. every morning. When I talk to my son, I will tell you the names of the bars, they were pretty pricey places though. Have Fun.
Apr 26th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

To Damama:

It was not TriBec, it is the Meat Packing District. My 23 year old liked Rhone and Lotus.

His favorite place was in the meat packing district that was a hotel, the top floor outside lights changed, they do not remember the name. They took cabs not subs. They were mainly at the high end clubs, so it was alittle safer. I don't know your sons, but mine are pretty street smart, so use your own judgement. They said they felt safe. Hope this helps.
Apr 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Damama, the NYU kids all seem to hang out in the East Village - there are lots of bars on Bleeker Street east of 6th Ave; the area around St. Mark's Place is also swarming with college kids. The Lower East Side has a hopping bar/music scene as well. I think a lot of post-college age kids party on the Upper East Side, around the 80's and Lexington Ave. At least I used to when I was that age.

If you go here www.sheckys.com/search/searchtype.asp
you can do a search by the type of bar your kids are interested in. The term "frat" might pull up some good results.
Apr 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
mp

The name of the hotel you sons went to was almost certainly the Gansvoort Hotel - 9th Avenue and 13th Street.