Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City kicked my butt, and I loved every second of it!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Partner Martin (PM) and I had a ball! This was my first visit. I love NYC and will return again as often as possible.

Flying into LaGuardia was amazing because we flew right down the east side of Manhattan and we got to see a truly birds eye view of all the buildings, the park and the rest of the island. I felt like a little kid with my face glued to the window oohing and ahhing. Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

We stayed at the Rihga Royal for $218 a night. What a great deal. Thanks to gyppielou for the tip! We loved the hotel. Great location on 54th and 7th. Our room on the 32nd floor was not a newly renovated one, but it was nice enough and it was HUGE! The bedroom alone was the size of most hotel rooms.

We walked our butts off! We had three days there and we had a big event planned like a museum or something like that every morning, but kept the afternoons free and we ended up walking somewhere every afternoon. We walked all the way down 5th Avenue from midtown to Greenwich Village. We walked from Katz's in the LES to Soho, Tribeca and Chelsea. We walked all around Central Park. We tuckered ourselves out and left 4 nights later totally wiped out and blissfully exhausted. I'd do it again in a minute!

HIGHPOINTS

Rockefeller Center.
What an amazing place.The artwork, the architecture, and the attention to detail had me awestruck. We ended up spending quite a bit of time inside and outside the building just looking and admiring. Art Deco rules! We went to the Top of the Rock the first night. They have fashioned a museum that you can linger in before you go to the top. Once there, we were treated to a full-on view of the Empire State and an impressive light show. Thanks to Howard for suggesting we go at night. What a way to spend our first night!

Central Park
We spent a lot of time walking and hanging here. The dogwood trees were blooming and the flowering fruit trees were spectacular, as were the large expanses of bright colored tulips and daffodils. What a treat is was to see all that color! What kind of trees of those ones with pink blossoms?

The Met!
The Temple of Dendur.
The mind boggling collection of Egyptian jewelry.
The reconstruction of an Assyrian throne room.
The Impressionism galleries.
We spent three hours here and just touched the surface. What a place. Arrive early!

Statue of Liberty
We got timed passes to go into the pedestal and base. It was totally worth it to do this. The security and the lines got a bit old, but it was exciting to see the inside and the overall experience was much better than if we had just walked around the outside. The original torch is on display, and the small museum was well done. I watched a video of how the forms were made and the copper was molded to fit the forms. It is amazing to be able to see the amount of work and craftsmanship that went into creating her. Once in the pedestal you can look up and see the inside of the Statue. Remarkable. We did Ellis Island too. I'd like to go back because by the time we got there, I was beginning to fade and we walked through it rather quickly and did not give it the time it deserved. If you do the passes for the inside of the Statue, allow yourself 5 to 6 hours for the whole shebang.

Museum of Natural History
I loved the dinosaur fossil rooms. My second grade students would've gone crazy.
A high point was watching a video at the Darwin Exhibition in which three famous scientists gingerly, politely and quickly debunked intelligent design.
I wanted to see the Butterfly Conservatory, but did not realize we needed to get timed tickets for it and it was all sold out by the time we realized we could not just walk in. That was a drag.

The Village Vanguard
I was in awe of the place. It is the classic jazz club. Some of jazz's best moments have been recorded here live and it was such a thrill just to be sitting there. I savored every minute. The basement room is small, cramped and a bit grungy. It was PERFECT. We saw the Billy Hart Quartet and were blown away. Even PM, who is not thrilled with jazz really enjoyed and wants to go back.

Sweeney Todd
Brilliant! Must be seen to be believed.

Cafe Boulud
We had lunch here and really enjoyed it. Excellent service and delicious food. Worth every penny.

Le Madeleine
Thanks Elaine! Had a pre-theater dinner here. Fantastic! The service was friendly, quick and efficient and the all courses were very good. For some the reason the host took a liking to us and treated us very well. I'd go back in heartbeat.

Posto
Thanks Elaine! We wanted a pizza fix and we're glad that we had it here. If you like thin crust pizza, this is the place. Great salads too.

Pearl's Oyster Bar
The chowder is to die for and we had our first lobster rolls. Very tasty. I'd go back again just for multiple bowls of chowder.

Carnegie Deli
I know, but I had a great bowl of matzoh ball and noodle soup and Martin ordered two knish that could have fed four. All of it was tasty. Our waitress was a doll.

Katz's
There may be better in New York, but this was the best pastrami sandwich I've ever had. Next time we'll try Sarge's. The pickles here were ten times better than at Carnegie.

Cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (I think that is the right name). We walked around the Village before the show at the Village Vanguard and happened to walk by and see all the yummy cupcakes in the window and had to have one. We went to the park across the street to eat them where there were several other people with frosting mustaches!

Hanging around Tiffany's for a minute thinking of my favorite movie.

Seeing John Stewart taking his kids out for a walk in Tribeca. We passed each other on the sidewalk. Very cool.

LOW POINTS

Really only one. The Museum of Art and Design. What a bust. Three small floors of not more than 40 or 50 works. It was a big disappointment.

All in all, we could not have had a better time. I am so grateful for the suggestions and recommendations that I got from here and other places. We would not have had as good a time for sure.

-Bill
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Wonderful report, thank you for making me even more Homesick
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Scarlett. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

I can't wait to go back.

-Bill
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Bill, reports like yours make me get up and go... to any place mentioned in a report Thank you!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Yeah, New York is intense, isn't it?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Great report. You gotta go to the Frick next time.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie,

Yeah, the Frick, the Guggenheim, MOMA, and on and on and on....

-Bill
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:30 AM
lvk

Hi Bill,

Nice report! I'm glad you and PM had a great time. You sure did a lot in 3 days. (Not like the lazy days in Hanalei. )
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

lvk,
This was no "go beach" vacation. However, a trip to the hell-hole right about now would be wonderful. Any future travel plans for a K9 groupie?
-Bill
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Kal

BILLLAAAYYYYY!!!!

Shhhhhhhhhhh.....
Be good!

BTW....my new fave wine is "I WANNA GO BACK TO NYC"!!!! >

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Oh for God's sake. I thought you were in Oregon freezing your Okole off!

A K9 GTG in NYC would be dangerous, but fun!

-Bill
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Kal

Brrrrr....not cold enuff for me to freeze ALL of it off!

All NYC GTGs are in NJ...kinda like the NY Jets' and Giants' home field being in NJ, I guess?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the great report! Bookmarking for future reference.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM

This makes me love my City even more... if that's at all possible.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Hi Billy...please add your 2 cents worth on my new post "NYC in 1 day". I need all the help I can get....hugs, vm
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

vm,
You've gotten some good advice from people that know better than I. There was a lot of talk about Canal Street. How about 5th Avenue? Bergdorf's? Barney's? Tiffany's. The Top of the Rock would be lots of fun. Take her for late lunch somewhere on the Upper East Side.
I bet your daughter would like shopping in Soho on Broadway around Prince Street. There were tons of stores and a lot of activity.

The Circle Line cruise around the harbor would be fun too. Some many things to do!

Hope this helps.

-Bill