Search

New York City Trip recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City Trip recommendations

Hello
I'm planning a NYC trip over Memorial Day weekend and I would appreciate hotel and itinerary recommendations. We (three 30-something women) would like to attend the play "A Color Purple", visit the Museum of Natural History, WTC site, Chinatown/Harlem/Little Italy and do extensive shopping and eating. Additional rsearch is needed however we have hotel reservations at the Grand Hyatt and Doubletree Metropolitan hotels. Based on our preliminary itinerary, are these hotels convenient to the activities we want to do? Are these hotels convenient to the Broadway Theater (1681 Broadway) and are they close to the Grayline Tour office (we plan to do the 48 hour loop tour)? Are there other hotels in the $250 range you would recommend? Please remember there will be three of us sharing a room. Are there good restaurants near the hotels and/or theater that you would recommend for dinner (<$50/person with drinks). All other recommendations are also welcomed. It's our first trip to NYC.
I appreciate your assistance.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Twice, three of us considerably older women have stayed at Doubletree Guest Suites and requested the rooms that had three sinks(one is actually the bar sink)...this was really exceptional for us...we walked everywhere, saw plays, toured every square inch of NYC by city bus, tour bus, boat, taxi, and horse drawn carriage. Try including the tour of the Lincoln Center theaters, wonderful!!! The harbor cruise was terrific! We always ate b'fast and lunch at the expensive places, Plaza Hotel and Waldorf Astoria, fun and good....We were on a city bus for couple of hours as it worked it's way through all the varied neighborhoods, what a sight to see, we ended up at a museum, name escapes me, and we took the subway back to our area. Oh, don't forget the U.N. tour, very interesting.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM

First, of the 2 hotels you picked, the
Grand Hyatt would be much better. By all accounts the rooms at the Doubletree Metropolitan are small, so I'd imagine would be tight for 3. It can also be noisy since it's near a fire station and police station.

Both of these hotels are on the east side and the theaters and Grayline tour office are on the west side in the Times Square area. While that's not a big problem, you might prefer being closer. If you do decide to stay at the Hyatt, transportation from there is good since it's right next to Grand Central Station. But the area is a more office buildings than anything else, and on a holiday weekend, it won't have a lot of rest. choices right nearby.

The Doubletree Guest Suites that desertduds mentions would be a much better location and room since it's all suites. It may be above your budget, but perhaps register with them online for emails on specials/discounts. Other hotels to consider that would be closer to the theater and all suite are the Blakely and the Rihga Royal. The Blakely has different sized rooms and you'd probably want a 1 bedroom.

The area around the Mus. of Nat. History is called the upper westside and that's also a nice area to stay, easy transport to midtown and a few decent hotels. It's less touristy, more locals with local type restaurants. The Lucerne hotel is the nicest I think. The Beacon and the Milburn are all suite hotels with large rooms (but I gather a bit grandmotherly looking in decor).

Once you decide on a hotel, it's easy to find restaurants nearby. menupages.com is a great website that allow you to search by area, by cuisine and read reviews and look at menus.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

The things you want to see in NY are spread out all over the city - so you'll need to use the subway extensively. I wouldn;t pick a hotel based on location compared to theaters - but to convenient public transport.

On that weekend esp I think you might be more comfortable on the upper west side (as mclaurie noted the Grand Hyatt is in a business area that will be quite quiet - with many restaurants closed) where there will be more activity from local residents. It abuts Central Park and the Museum of Natural Hist, has great public transport and tons of good inepensive restaurants that should make it easier to meet your $50 budget(for dinner in NYC with drink, tax and tip this is quite modest).
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Definitely go for either an uptown or downtown tour with Greyline. The main office is located in the Time Square visitors center. The uptown tour takes you up one side of Central Park, into Harlem then down the other side of the park. The downtown tour takes you down to the southern tip of Manhattan. Canal St is a great place to get discount merchandise Saturday a.m. Vendors set up on the street or in little shops. Found really nice purses there. Bargain with them...it's fun. Also, the subways are pretty easy to figure out and I'm a country bumpkin from upstate NY. The Museum of Natural History is pretty cool but the dinosaur part is the best. We spent one afternoon just strolling around Central Park. What an oasis! Have fun!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM

3 of us stayed at the Radio City Apartments for 155.00 a night, plus taxes. 1 bedroom with 2 double beds. Bathroom. Livingroom with a pull out couch, Dining room table and chairs,fridge, microwave, stove, sink, dishes and utensils. You will find that most hotel rooms are tiny and there is barely enough room to change your clothes. As I recall these apartments were a few blocks from Times square, and it was the nicest place we have stayed so far. Location was also the best we have found. You can find thier website and see photos ect.Also, delis and Rays pizza just down the street in case you get tired of running around.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM

You are going to need a good street map of Manhattan for your trip, so you might as well get one now, to help in planning your itinerary. For instance, Harlem is uptown, north of everything else you mentioned, and Chinatown is downtown, and in the process of absorbing most of Little Italy.

In the short run, the map of the All Loops Tour provided by the Gray Line is handy. They are also very quick to respond to e-mailed requests for the paper brochure.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your recommendations at this time. I'll do more research for hotels in the Uptown/Times Square areas but it may be necessary to pay more than $250/night. Please keep the good ideas coming.

Thank you.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Look at the www.hotels.com site for lots of ideas and you can comparison shop. I have found it really helpful in planning 6 trips that I have done in the last year or so.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:43 AM

I think you will be able to find something at the $250 range but it may not be a 4* hotel. (Frankly, I'm curious to know where you've seen the Hyatt at $250??)

Checking on quikbook.com, I see the Salisbury at $255 for a regular room double/double or a 1 bedroom suite for $285. This hotel is on west 57th st in the heart of midtown and a 19 minute walk to the theaters. Rooms are very large.

I also see the Excelsior hotel on the upper westside for $234 for a double double. That's directly across from the Mus. of Natural History.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:57 AM

LOL. That should have read 10 minutes walk.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Keep in mind that you've got to add between 10-15% to the cost of the room for taxes.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM

NY the best city in the world. We are a couple of 40 something women who have gone to NY three times in the past twelve months (we are Australian, so getting to NY means a 22 hour flight). Accommodation, try www.ratestogo.com, for accommodation within 20 days, great options at much cheaper rates. Get your theatre tickets from the booth in Times Square, or go to the theatres that you want to attend if the booth doesn't have what you want. You must do the circle trip around Manhatten. The subway is easy to use and really safe, buses are also fine. Central Park, just fabulous. NY is a wonderful walking city, immerse yourselves in the people, the city. A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is fabulous just on sunset and watch the lights over the city come on. Greenich Village & Chelsea wonderful alternative places. Depends what you are into - but enjoy this city and its people. Have fun.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

The Metropolitan was recently remodeled, so that's a plus. I think it might be more convenient than the Hyatt, but that's just MHO. Check out the coty map and see what you think. Also I stayed at the metropolitan and I could look out my window and see the police station - I never heard a thing and was never woken up by any sirens.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I suggest going to tripadvisor.com, indicate that you are looking for a hotel room that can accommodate 4 (even though there are three of you). This way, you are guaranteed 2 double beds. Of course, two of you will need to share one of the beds. You can specify the area of NYC that you'd like to stay in. I suggest Midtown West or Times Square area. The subway system is easy to use and that is how we normally venture around. Chinatown/Little Italy are very close to each other and there are some wonderful cafes with outdoor seating in Little Italy that you can dine at for under $50.00/person. Since you are going in May, eating outdoors should be wonderful. In the theater district there are some great restaurants with prix fixe lunch and dinner menus - Pierre Au Tunnel (French) is one (212/575-1220) and also
Les Sans Culottes (212/247-4284). Prix fixe lunch will be about $17.00/pp and dinner perhaps $28.00/pp. Both of these restaurants are located on Restaurant Row in the Theater District.

Canal Street is great for shopping and bargaining - most of what is sold there are fakes - but it is fun. Canal Street is very close to Chinatown/Little Italy. The Union Square area is also fun too - on weekends there are street flea markets around the square - there is a great coffee shop on Union Square (Brazilian - but I think the name is The Coffee Shop). ABC Carpets is near there too - a huge warehouse with home furnishings. Soho and Greenwich Village are also fun to walk around and eat. You may want to do a boat tour of the Hudson too - see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc., and end up at Southstreet Seaport - great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, chain store shopping and a some overpriced restaureants - the hot dog stands are the best bargain there - but the views are what is great about that place.

Sales tax in NYC is 8% for clothing over $100.00 spent. Fifth Avenue is fun to walk on - Saks has a nice restaurant for a ladies lunch. Central Park is great too - should be very pretty when you visit.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM

If you are members of AAA, get the NYC streetmap from them and guidebook. (I always carry the map in my purse, along with a small copy of the subway map.)
As for shopping, hit all of the Filene's Basements.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I have lived in NYC my entire long life...and recommend staying on the Upper West Side...Its a lively happy area, not touristy, many many places to eat..including Zabar's and Fairway, the number 5 bus will take you from one end of the Island to the other, including Museum row. The Lucerne as mentioned in another post is excellent, and perfectly located, as is the small European hotel, ON THE AVE...The 104 bus,on Broadway near hotels. or subway (perfectly safe) takes you to 42nd and then crosstown.
Actually there are four bus lines in the area and two subway lines. On Sunday, the best shopping can be had at the Greenflea Market on Columbus Ave and 77 Street....vendors and artists sell at wholesale prices....Its in a schoolyard...And, breakfast /brunch can be had at neighborhood prices , not tourist prices. NY is a wonderful city and I'm sure you all will have a great time.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I enjoyed the Hotel Roger Williams not to far from the Empire State Building.

Here's a short review for you:

http://www.lostmyguidebook.com/usa/n...roger-williams

If you check the same USA section, you'll also find my favourite NY restaurants. I really enjoyed:

- Kittachai (Thai food)
- Lure Fish Bar (seafood pbviously)
- Spice Market (asian fusion - but i think it's popularity is a bit overrated)
- APT bar for drinks afterwards!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Hi grouptravel! I just noticed on the Oprah website that she is looking for groups of girlfriends making a trip especially to see The Color Purple- submit your story and maybe she'll mention it on the show You can visit Oprah.com for details.

have fun!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Everyone,
Thank you for your recommendations for my trip. There have been a few developments. Now there are 4 of us going on this trip (vs. 3). We've decided to stay at the Salisbury Hotel. Although it's a 2 star hotel, it looks pretty clean and we have the option of getting a suite. I also read it's pretty convenient to the subways. We've purchased our tickets to the play and we are definitely doing the Grayline Tour. Based on your feedback, each of us look forward to all of the neighborhood/street shopping options. There are more details that we must iron out but our goal is to not have a concrete, hour by hour itinerary. We'll visit a few areas and plan a trip for next year for those areas that we missed

TarHeelsInNj -- Thanks for the info regarding Oprah's show!! I don't think our story will garner alot of tears or inspiration ---but--- I'll have one of my friends submit our story. Hey, you never know.

Take care
Grouptravel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -