Reload this Page >

New York City Transit Strike?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Lise

A friend mentioned to me today that there may be a strike of the subway and bus drivers in NYC in the near future. I hadn't heard about this, and since I'll be traveling to the city late next week, this concerned me. Does anyone have any idea how soon this strike might begin, if it does happen?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:56 PM
hildy

If the strike does happen, it will be Sunday night 12:01 a.m. (technically Monday morning).

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:00 PM
xxx

Gov. Pataki is preparing to call in the National Guard, not sounding too optimistic but you never know. Just plan your intra city travels well ahead and plan on hoofing it because cabs may be hard to come by. Good luck!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Lise

Thanks for the information. I guess my timing is bad. I'll have to check a map to try to figure out if I can walk from my hotel to my appointments if need be.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:04 PM
travelbuff

Lise,

Even if we do have a transit strike, it will not last very long. The entire city pretty much comes to a halt, and with everything we have gone through the last year, I am sure everyone involved will try to settle things before a strike is called, lets hope cool heads prevail.

There are some contingency plans being announced, so you might keep an eye on CNN for the latest news, I am sure as we get closer to Sunday, they will cover the latest news.

Hope you have a good time in the City.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:22 AM
xxx

Lise:
If there is a strike, (and we really hope there isn't one) it will probably last a day or two the most. Come anyway, NYC always prevails and NYCERS are resilient folks.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
s

If there is a strike walking is the way to go. You can figure walking distances as Follows. Going north/south (street to street) 20 blocks is one mile - Ex; 42nd St to 62nd St in one mile.
Going east/west (Avenue to Ave.) each block is about 3 North/South streets. Ex: from 5th Avenue to 8th Avenue is about 9 North/south Blocks.
Let's say the hotel is at 8th Ave and 60th St and you are going to the Empire State Building at 5th Ave and 34th St. From 60th to 34th Street is 26 blocks. From 8th to 5th Ave is the same as 9 north/south blocks. Total blocks is 35 Distance is 1 3/4 miles.
A

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:22 AM
alexander

If there is a strike, how will people be able to get to and from the aiport? It will probably be next to impossible to get a taxi.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:11 AM
suzanne

All the airports have bus service to Manhattan that is NOT run by MTA. Newark has the AirTrain, also not run by MTA.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:13 AM
suzanne

Plus, all taxis will have to carry multiple passengers (you will need 4+ people per vehicle to enter Manhattan). So it shouldn't be all that bad.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Flynn

The last time NY had a transit strike (1980 or so?) I took the NJ Path train to get around a little bit. For example, from West 34th Street you can take the Path downtown to the Village stopping at either Christopher Street or West 9th Street. Not that extensive but it helps a little. It does not take the NY metrocard but does take cash. Used to be $1.00 but it went up.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Michelle

That's good advice, Flynn. At leasts it gets you closer downtown from Midtown (and the other way around, of course).