New York City-staying on West 49th

Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City-staying on West 49th

6 of us are taking the early morning flight on Friday to LaGuardia. Will arrive around 9:00. We are staying at the Radio City Apartments at 149 W. 49th. I have several questions.

What is the best and most economical way to get from the airport to this location?

Has anyone stayed at the Radio City Apartments? A friend of mine stayed there previously and recommended it.

What restaurants in the neighborhood does anyone recommend?

We plan to take our luggage to the hotel and then set out on the subway for Battery Park with hopes of making the trip to Ellis Island. Will we be able to still get a ticket on Friday afternoon? If not, what about Sunday morning? We plan to go to the discount ticket office on Saturday morning to purchase tickets for a Saturday matinee, so going to Ellis Island won't be possible on Saturday.

What are the other "must see" places to visit in this area?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
GoTravel

The easiest way to get from LGA to Midtown is by taxi but since there are six of you, hire a limo. Or get two taxis.

If I'm not mistaken, Radio City Apartments are right in the middle of Times Square. Head over to 8th Avenue and there are tons of restaurants. Keep out of the chain restaurants in Times Square (Olive Garden, Houlihans, TGI Fridays).

My suggestion would be to take the Staten Island Ferry, it is free, for beautiful views of The Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan.

While you are in that area, walk the Brookly Bridge.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:00 AM

Responding to some of your questions:
1. Take two cabs. That'll end up costing less than the airport bus. And, it's a heck of a lot easier and considerably faster than public transportation.
2. There are literally hundreds of restaurants within walking distance of where you are staying. How much do you want to spend and what types of food?
3. You might encounter a line for boat to Ellis Island in the afternoon. Perhaps, first thing Sunday morning will be better. The lines tend to get longer as the day progresses. However, if you go on Friday afternoon there is a discount ticket booth in that area, where you can pick up matinee tickets for Saturday. (You can't do this at the TKTS booth in Times Square.) So, it might make more sense to go down to Battery Park on Friday afternoon. If, after getting your theater tickets, you find that the line for the boat to Ellis Island is too long, you can always go back the following morning!
5. When you ask about other "must see sights," what area are you talking about?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM

I'm just guessing here, but would think Friday is your best day for heading to Ellis Island. Weekends are busier and everybody "knows" to get to Battery Park "first thing" on the weekends.

Also, sign up at www.playbill.com, www.broadwaybox.com, www.theatermania.com, then check all the discount specials. I can't imagine spending time in the TKTS line! You'll have a much better selection getting your tickets ahead of time.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM

I've stayed at Radio City Apts twice already this year and have no complaints. It's a very comfortable (not fancy) hotel. Great to have the kitchenettes in each room for keeping bottled water cold, etc. There is always someone at the front desk and it's in a great location. There is a fairly new restaurant right around the corner called Maxie's Delicatessen. Great food! It's at the corner of 48th St and 7th Ave. Lots of other restaurants within short walking distance. Have a great trip!
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:48 PM
bc

We took a "private" shuttle from the airport to our midtown hotel a couple of weeks ago. There were six of us and it was one of those mini-van type things. Since it was a "private" shuttle, it was just the six of us and it went straight to our hotel. It was considerably cheaper than two cabs. Going back to the airport, the hotel concierge arranged a limo. It turned out to be even cheaper than the private shuttle. I don't know how you arrange for the limo in advance--someone else on this board probably will. I know to get the shuttle we went to the "shuttle transportation" desk or whatever it was called.
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM

It's been six years or so since I stayed in radio City Apartments but it is a good budget choice and is just far enough out of Times Square to be quiet at night yet still convenient.

The advice to avoid chains is well taken. Best bet for great variety in dining, especially moderate to mid price ethnic choices, is to actually go a block further than the previous suggestion - get to 9th Ave in the 40's and 50's and you'll find a wide range of choices. Closer to the hotel you will find some other options including a pretty decent Brazilian place called Cabana Carrioca (sp?) a couple block or so away.
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Keep in mind, if you arrange for a limo at the airport, you have to pay for parking as they are not allowed to wait for you at the curb. I've had mixed luck with limo services in the city, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending any one of them.

TKTS will be right by your hotel. I work near there and use it all the time. If you get there shortly after they open, the lines aren't more than 10-15 minutes long, if that. For all sorts of reasons, Tuesday is the best time to use the TKTS booth.

The phone number for the Ellis Island Ferry is (212) 269-5755. I would call to find out when the last ferry is -- it changes depending on the season.