Search

new york city pass

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new york city pass

Has anyone purchased a New York City pass and do you feel it's worth it? I'm visiting NY ove Christmas and this looks like a great way to see the sights in NY.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Like any of these city passes, whether it's "Worth it" depends on your own interests and itinerary: Would you really visit enough of the places included to save money? In NYC, there are so many things to do, if you're just there for a few days it might not be a good investment. The weather might not be conducive to the cruise or ESB, etc. You might be better-off visiting the Met ($15, not included) rather than MOMA and the Guggenheim ($35 for both tickets, without the pass).

Also, check whether anyone in your group is eligible for other discounts, such as a student rate, and whether you'd be interested in the attraction's own discounted packages, such as AMNH's shows. Sometimes museums might be "fee optional" (though I personally don't advocate paying less than the suggested fee unless you're REALLY broke) or have one free day or afternoon/evening each week. Some of the prices in the CityPass chart are outdated (e.g., AMNH), so check the attractions' own web sites.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM

we found it very much worth it. one sight-seeing thing we gained admission to that we wouldn't have thought of doing otherwise was harbor tour. we took the harbor lights tour at night. just beautiful.

city pass definitely worth it.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM

oh, though since you're going over x-mas, i don't know if the boat tours are operating. MOMA was AWESOME and shouldn't be missed, as was the guggenheim. the MET was incredible, too. do it all!

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I thought even if we only use a few of the tickets it might be worth it. I know for sure we want to do the NBC tour, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, and at least 1 museum. However, an annonymous said, a student discount may be better and we have 2 students. I may wait unitl I get to NY and purchase it there.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM

As anon. says, it depends. YOu should know that MOMA is FREE on Fridays after 4pm. The new Top of the Rock is getting raves as a much better experience than ESB and is not included in the pass. It's darn cold for a cruise. The Air & Space museum is also a chilly experience right now. It doesn't include the MET. So I'd say, at this time of year, it may not be a great idea.