7 Day New York Pass and 3 Day CitySights Pass

Mar 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

7 Day New York Pass and 3 Day CitySights Pass

We are travelling to NYC in July and have pretty much decided to purchase a 7 Day New York Pass for our 6 Day Trip and a 3 Day CitySights. They are $215 per person, and from my research and calculations on the things I want to see that are covered I would spend $345 per person, without the Bus!!!! Am I missing something. Is there a downside I haven't seen? Thanks, Melissa
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM

Many of the museums offer free days and nights. They must get crowded on the free days and didn't seem to be worth the hassle. For me, it was more important to enjoy the art, so I used a pass.

We bought a citypass ($74)that included the museums we wanted plus a trip to the Statue of Liberty or a boat cruise. The boat cruise was so boring that I felt like taking a long and icy swim. It was March.

It also included a visit to the top of the Empire State, it said we could "skip the line" but that's not really true. You just skip the line to buy tickets but still have to wait. We didn't wait long because we went in the evening.

The subway card for a week was cheap. And the subway was fast and fun to use as it's an entertaining little world down there. We didn’t take a bus, they seemed so slow and we didn’t want to miss what we could find by just walking. New York has some great museums and attractions but it’s alive to the core, so don’t get locked into an itinerary that skips the joy of just being in New York.
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM
yk

What does the CitySights pass include? if it's mostly for transportation in the city, you're much better off getting the 7-day MetroPass for just $25 with unlimited use.
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM

CitySights is one of the hop on/off tourist bus cos. I have no personal experience but it doesn't get very good reviews on tripadvisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...k.html#REVIEWS
Grayline is more popular, but frankly I think the idea of sitting upstairs in the open in July's hot sun getting burnt is a bad idea. If you want a bus tour, I'd do the onboardtours.com in an air conditioned bus that stays with you and then use the 7 day unlimited metrocard ($25/person) for getting around.

Most tourists feel the NY Pass is good value but I think it overpromises and may lead you to venues you might not otherwise visit. Here's a discussion in which the NY Explorer pass is recommended instead. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._New_York.html
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM

The only "pass" you need is a MetroCard for the subway. The others are not worth the money - since youwill never visit most of the places on the list. Also, they claim to get you preferential treatment at plaes with lines - but they don't. It's true yuo don;t wait on line to buy tickets - but you can buy advance tickets yourselves. And the other lines (for elevators or to get on ferries are the same for everyone - pass or not.

Also do not reco the standard bus tours - much better to go inside and see what you want than look at buildings from the outside - as well as sit in traffic and watch locals go about their daily errands. And hop on/off are not good since they run so infrequently (every 30 minutes versus the city bus tht comes every 5) - and the're sometimes full.
Mar 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM

When we went, we got the hop on-hop off tour through Gray line - and really enjoyed it. Don't book it in advance though, you can negotiate a better deal when you get there.
It does get hot on top of the bus, but it was great to be able to look up as high as you want without the limitations of a roof.
It took us all over the city, and also included a boat tour to the Statue of Liberty and a pass to most museums.
Mar 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone, we were thinking about the 7 Day Pass as we have six full days. I can see that if you got the 3 Day pass you'd have a lot of trouble fitting in enough to get your money back. It's $175 and looking at admission prices it wouldn't take long to exceed that if you went to a few museums, Empire State Building, the three hour cruise. I like the idea of the Guided Tours of Greenwich Village, the Theatre and Financial Districts.
In terms of the Bus, all we really want is something tht gets us around to all the attractions we want to see. It's only $40 more (how much is a metro card?) but it's only for the three days (but for that price you get a night tour,a brooklyn tour, and a harlem tour.
We want to see as much as possible in the 6.5 days we've got.
Thanks, Melissa
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Melissa,
Some of the museums have free nights and/or have suggested admissions (pay what you wish) so these passes often claim a false economy. If you've researched and really think you will use it then go for it. Be sure to report back here and let us know how it turns out. we've only heard stories of disappointment.

The hop on-hop off bus get you around a bit but you are stuck in traffic and on the more limited schedule of the bus. A 7-day MetroCard is $25, which gets you on subways (the fastest way to travel in NYC) as well as local busses (slower, but more frequent than hop on-hop off busses).
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM

A 7 day metrocard that lets you ride the bus or subway unlimited number of times is $25/person. Don't mix tours and transportation. They're not the same thing.
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie, very helpful advice, perhaps I guess what I'm after is a mixture of both.