Search

New York City Marriotts -

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City Marriotts -

I am traveling to NYC in December with my 14 year old daughter -

We will be seeing two shows while there - we have been to the city numerous times -

It is just a 3 night stay in Manhattan.

I am using Marriott points - I am not a big fan of Time Square and have stayed at the Marquis before and it makes me a little crazy. Having said that, the main thing we will be doing is seeing a couple shows.

How is the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square South 114 West 40th Street · New York, New York 10018? I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn before and liked the location - close to the madness but far enough out of it that I did not feel claustrophobic. The only other thing I really want to do this time is go to the Tenement Museum.

Thanks so much!
Dawn
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you looked at the Marriott at 49th and Lexington Ave?
Some of my family have stayed there and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:42 AM

The Courtyard is on a very busy but very convenient block. If I were choosing, I'd probably go for the Courtyard on 3rd Avenue in the 50s. My second choice would be the New York Marriott on Lexington (rooms are small but the location is good ... but this hotel may not have Queen beds). This choice would be the Residence Inn on 6th Avenue.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Good stuff - I will look at the Courtyard on 3rd in the 50s. As well as the New York Marriott on Lexington (and will verify the bed situation).
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I went ahead and did the courtyard on 3rd avenue - now you are going to have to give me subway directions once again.

They have two queen beds - the rooms on Lexington are super small - one queen or one king in less than 230 square feet - only 3 nights and the two of us but do not want to chance one queen bed. I like the two queen beds on the courtyard on 3rd.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Re-read lowcountry's trip report from when they stayed further east. Lots of good tips.

You know me - I'd pick the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th in a heartbeat!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:31 AM

The Courtyard on 3rd Avenue is near 53rd/Third Ave. It's convenient to the 6 at 51st/Park as well as E/F at 53rd Street/Lexington Ave. You're also within a 12-minute walk of Grand Central for the more direct shuttle to Times Square. I find this location quite convenient, and my friend who often stays there on business really likes the hotel.

One of my favorite restaurants, Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote, is nearby on Lexington/52nd.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Have you watched Crossing Delancy? If not, watch it before you go. Then explore the LES - after you leave the Tenement Museum. Go to the markets that are still there. Go see the pickle man. Go to Economy Candy. Go stand in line at the Doughnut Plant and get a fabulous donut. Look up at the high rises and think of Bubbie.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Not sure if you have considered it or not but I stayed at the Algonquin on Marriott points last February. It is a throwback to the 20's but an elegant hotel and in a good location. Close to Times Square but away from the lights and bustle.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Mom, we've stayed at the Courtyard on 53rd and Third, and thought it was great. It's a fairly plain hotel (after all, it's a vertical Courtyard) but the rooms are huge (they have 2 queens AND a loveseat size sofabed), the staff uniformly friendly, and we really like the location - near a subway entrance, Duane Reade right downstairs, I think there's an Ess-a-Bagel down the block. Great place - we'd definitely stay there again.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM

I like that Courtyard OK but be prepared that there's no lobby to speak of - it looks like you;re entering a jail or something - although the rooms are lovely and it's a great location.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Dawn, I guess this is a done deal and I think that Courtyard is a good one with big rooms, but it's not that convenient to theaters. You can use the crosstown buses at 49/50 st. to get to/from the theaters but they take forever. I would have gone with the Fairfield Inn Fifth ave., the Courtyard Times Square South, the Couryard Fifth ave. or the Algonquin for a theater trip.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

It is not a "done" deal in that it is Marriott points and I can switch it up - The main reason we are going is to see theater... hummmm...
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Whatever you decide, I suggest you book a room ASAP, as you're coming during a very busy time of the year, and who knows how many options you'll have have for using Marriott points.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM

If it's a theatre trip, no.
Read LowCountry's report.

December? Using public transit or even cabs after the show?
No.

My first visit (with my mom) we stayed at the Grand Hyatt - when it was brand new. Trying to get "home" after a show in winter = miserable. We tried to get a cab. We walked the whole way. Of course, this was 20 years ago, but...

The right/best answer for you and your 14 yo daughter...in December...for shows...= no 'bout a doubt it = HGI on 8th
IMHO, of course
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Wait. Just stopped at realized - Hilton GI. sorry.
IMO, don't stay so far east for shows. Smaller rooms + better location = better winter trip for you.

And I agree with HowardR.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM

I just looked at a map. My choice would be the Courtyard (or Residence Inn) near Bryant Park. Perfect for shows, subway and the winter market with shopping and ice skating nearby -
http://blog.bryantpark.org/search/la...inter%20market
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I wish I had the points for the Hilton Garden Inn - dh is platinum with Marriott so I have to stay there to use the points and make the trip doable - booked our airfare with AA miles this morning and will nail this down.

It is too cold for too far away...
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM

We've stayed at the Residence Inn near Bryant Park also. We didn't like it quite as much as the Courtyard, but our "displeasure" was based on specific incidents that can probably all be attributed to the fact that it was Thanksgiving weekend and they weren't "up to it". It was a perfectly fine place, in a very good location (and breakfast is included, although just up the street, we found a local coffee shop that made divine croissants!)
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Hey Mom, do you know about -
http://www.execustay.com/

I didn't. Evidently you can use points there also. Different locations. Just in case the hotels are booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -