New York City hostels or cheap accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations for NYC hostels suitable for a couple of 19 year old guys travelling from Australia- will be first time New York.

Need accom suitable for up to 10 days- might split time between different areas.

Not interested in hostels that have reputation as party places.

All suggestions/ experiences welcomed - thanks
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM

I stayed here back in the 80s with my high school, so I can imagine that it's only gotten better as NYC has gentrified. I have no idea what the rates are, but they're bound to be less than a hotel.

http://www.ymcanyc.org/vanderbilt/gu...ccommodations/
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can't say from personal experience but walked past this place yesterday and thought it would be a great neighborhood for young people to stay in.

http://www.chelseahostel.com/
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:45 AM

The Hosteling International on 103rd Street has a good reputation. They are so large that I understand they sometimes run their own activities (tours, etc) and the young people that I meet in neighborhood stores (many are staying there) seem to like it. It's not very far from Columbia University so there are a good number of decent and inexpensive restaurants nearby. I believe a bed with locker in a dorm room is about $40 per night. (But be aware that the legal drinking age here is 21 and it is strictly enforced - since liquor licenses can be easily pulled for infractions.)

You don;t say when you're coming. If it's between now and New Year's you're in high season and finding a bargain hotel will be an issue. You might check out some of the legal B&Bs (they're only legal if they charge tax) but they may have issues with 2 under 21's (many hotels in the US don;t allow under 21's alone - esp if there is more than one) so you would have to check that out in advance.

Some less expensive hotels that you do NOT want to stay at (dirty, verminous etc) are the Carter, Pennsylvania, Riverside Suites/Towers and Marrakech.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for prompt responses- great info

Sorry forgot to say that stay is for 8 nights- 10th-18th November...this year!

Realize this is probably high season but have no choice re dates
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I would make reservations as soon as possible - since the city is very crowded at this time of year - and while there are several good hostels there are also some that are not very pleasant - and you don;t want to be shut out of your choice.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Here's an exhaustive listing of cheap stays in NYC:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/newyork/
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Absolutely want to book as soon as possible-

Hostelling International is looking good-

Wanted to experience some life outside of Manhattan- do you think it would be worthwhile spending 3 days staying in hostel in Brooklyn or would travelling from Manhattan to take a look around work just as well?

Thanks bardo1 for the link
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM

The subway isqick and easy to negotitate.I wold simlifylife by staying in one place and taking the train to visit other areas.

In NOvember it will be chilly but not really cold yet - so walking around a bunch of neighborhoods to explore them should still be enjoyable (unlesss you get a couple of very cold nights). Keep in mind that NYC is on a huge natural harbor so it tends to be damp and windy as well as chilly - and bring warm enough clothes and a sturdy folding umbrella.