New York City, Al Hirshfeld Theatre, Best Seats

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see "Kinky Boots" in May 2016, so I am buying early to get good seats. I am travelling with my two daughters, so need three tickets. What is the best row in "Prime Orchestra" and is row "A" too close to the stage. Or, does anyone have any better suggestions as to what section has a great view other than this one?
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:32 AM

I like 1st row mezzanine for musicals.
Kinky Boots is frequently discounted.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you for your quick response, what site would you suggest for discounted tickets? and....how far in advance can you get a discounted ticket? So, no problem to see from mezzanine?
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:51 AM

I disagree on Mezz seats. I like orchestra better but you don't necessarily need to be in the front row.

Try Broadwaybox or theatermania for discounts.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, will give those sites a try!
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 04:16 AM

You will not find discounts for May right now, probably not until about March, I'd guess, but they WILL be available for then eventually -- assuming the show doesn't close by May which is a possibility. Trust me.

Start about the first of March checking with Broadwaybox.com. If they are offering discounts, their link will take you to Ticketmaster, the official seller of the seats and you can get the discount.

Back to seating choices -- I too vote for front row of the Mezzanine. That's where I saw Kinky Boots from and it was perfect! Way better than the first row or two of orchestra -- in fact, in my book, way better than any orchestra seats for enjoying the choreography. That front row mezzanine is directly above about the 12th row of orchestra, less than half way back, with the benefit of having NO heads in front of you -- a totally unblocked full stage view with some elevation so you can see the entire stage.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 05:38 AM

Most theater discounts are released quarterly. Since Kinky Boots is always discounted these days, you're almost certain to have access to some kind of discounted seats.

Having said that, no shows release discounts for prime orchestra seats any more. (Front-row seats are not generally considered prime because they are really too close to the stage ... it's like seeing a movie from the front row. But these seats are often deeply deeply discounted ... as in $20 or $30 ... and sold at a lottery the day of the show.)

The only way to get prime tickets at a discount is to get them by chance at TKTS or pay full price. For some long-running shows, front mezzanine seats are discounted, but that's not universally true, so check the official ticket seller to find out about Kinky Boots. Often the first two rows of the mezzanine are considered "prime" and are only sold for full price.

If you want prime seats, there's no reason not to buy them now. The show is likely (but not guaranteed) to be playing then. If it closes before your dates of travel, you'll get a refund, but it can take a while.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 05:52 AM

Actually, Doug, I have been getting discount seats for MOST shows I've seen in the front row of mezzanine. Most recently Dames at Sea, Sylvia, and King CharlesIII. But admittedly, more and more, NOT the center section. No issue. My favorite in that case is usually on the aisle of a side section, front row mezzanine, which nearly always ARE discounted (I've only seen a couple shows where those seats aren't included in the group released before opening, but generally are after opening).

By the way, have you noticed more theatres switching to Ticketmaster instead of Telecharge? I believe the Jujamcyn theatres are gradually switching over -- already Kinky Boots and Something Rotten has made the switch with more to come. As Ticketmaster's fees are higher than Telecharge's, this is not great news to some of us. Besides, I've hated Ticketmaster ever since they were holding my opening night tickets for Wicked and sold them out from under me. That's when I learned never to allow Ticketmaster to hold my tickets in will call.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you for all the input! Perhaps I will watch ticket sales and try to wait until March to purchase tickets and maybe get discounted ones......then we can do more than one play!
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 06:04 AM

While you are in the theater do see the Hirschfeld exhibit on the mezzanine floor.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

What does the exhibit entail!
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, how do up you select front row mezzanine tickets? As far as I can tell, most web sites send you to Ticketmaster but I cannot seem to pick any tickets in the front row mezzanine for May 6 or 7 th evening shows for Kinky Boots!
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 06:11 AM

It may be that those seats are sold out, or they may be "premium" seats and will not show up unless you specifically include premium-priced seats in your search.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Are you searching with the map and Choose Your Own Seats option? There are no center front mezzanine seats showing as available, but there are left and right mezzanine tickets available for purchase in the front row.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Interesting - I can't find a description of the exhibit but here's an article about the rededication of the theater

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york...song_3666.html

and if you have never heard of Al, I would start here -
http://www.alhirschfeldfoundation.org/news
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:45 PM

I looked for your dates and found side section front row mezzanine seats, which are great (as long as not on the very extreme ends).

Perhaps you haven't clicked "find your own seats" or "use seat map". They'll show you a million options (well, almost) before those front row mezz seats if you have simply clicked "best available". Their idea of "best" and mine are vastly different.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NeoPatrick, what website did you use?
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Ticketmaster, which I think I got to from the link on Playbill.com.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, were the Seats you found in the side mezzanine about halfway across, sort of in the middle?
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 03:38 AM

As I recall seats 8 and 10 so, yes.