Search

An American in Paris vs Dames at Sea?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An American in Paris vs Dames at Sea?

Hello,
I will be visiting NYC in two weeks and would like to hear feedback from someone that has had the opportunity of watching both "An American in Paris" and "Dames at Sea". And also any recommendation for obtaining Broadway tickets?

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 08:31 AM

For shows that are discounting go to broadwaybox.com to get the discount code, then go to the website of the official ticket seller - ASAP for best choice of tickets.

If there are no discounts available go NOW to the web site of the official ticket seller (can find on playbill.com) and buy tickets. Unless they are sold out do not go to other web sites since they are usually resellers that will charge a large premium for the tickets.

Have seen only American in Paris and it was goo - but not so much as the movie original.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Sure. I've seen both. Loved the fun Dames at Sea, but in my book there is no comparison. An American in Paris is perhaps the most visually stunning show I've ever seen on Broadway (and I've seen a LOT of them). Everything about it is "bigger".

Discounts are available (but might be limited for An American in Paris with the upcoming holidays) for both shows. Either Broadwaybox.com or playbill.com. When you click the "buy discount tickets" it will automatically take you to the appropriate seller -- which is Ticketmaster for American in Paris and Telecharge for Dames at Sea.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM

+1 for "An American..." We saw it in previews last year IN Paris. It was spectacular.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:19 PM

The dancing in American in Paris is excellent, some of the best I've ever seen on Broadway - trained dancers not gyrators. Haven't seen Dames so can't comment.

I just saw Henry IV at St. Anne's Warehouse in Brooklyn with Harriet Walter (all woman cast). Small theater and outstanding interpretation.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:42 PM

By the way, you have to LOVE tap dancing to fully enjoy Dames at Sea. I realize not everyone loves it. I do!
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 08:26 AM

I saw An American in Paris on Sunday -- a side-orchestra seat, three seats in from the aisle in Row N, with excellent sight-lines. The dancing was ethereal. I wanted to float away on it. Just sublime.

I got my ticket at the TKTS booth; for a Sunday matinee at 3, I was on the line at 11:30 a.m. and had my ticket by 12:15.