Search

New Years Eve Ideas in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years Eve Ideas in NYC

Hi,

need some advice from those in the know I have booked a room at the sofitel and will be checking in on 31 Dec for 4 nights and need some ideas for New Years Eve. I am not a big fan of NYE and all the parties, the ball drop doesn't come close to something i would like to do, i think perhaps a really nice dinner and perhaps fireworks in Central Park may be the best option unless there is better ideas? This also leaves me with which restaurant to try and book. Any advice much appreciated, we thoroughly enjoy great food, all types, i am not overly concerned about budget for this night as it will be coming to the end of our vacation but wouldn't want to blow $700 per head. nether of us really drink much.

I appreciate your help guys,

Cheers,

Big T
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

You have to decide what kind of food you want and how fancy you want to get. Without that info it's hard to make recos. How old are you? Meanwhile, here are some thoughts from last year's NY magazine
http://nymag.com/restaurants/shortlists/25573/
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM

The first key question: How much do you want to spend?
The second key question: What type(s) of food do prefer?
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM

5 years ago my family spent new year's eve in nyc and we went to an italian restaurant called "Nello" and had a very nice evening, good service and excellent food...but my parent's didn't want any party, music...so it depends on the idea you have!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie, HowardR and carlot,

we are mid 30's so fine with a party atmosphere and music, just dont want that whole NYE crazy party thing, so a fun atmosphere with music etc is great, just not the whole times square or clubbing thing!

With regards to food, hey the problem is we love all sorts so good American food, French, Italian......as long as its good. I suppose the reality is that we are very open to ideas, just something really nice. Budget up to $300 but doesn't need to include alcohol......

Thanks for your help guys.

BigT
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM

You might email Bruno Jamais and find out what they're doing.

http://www.usmenuguide.com/BrunoJamais.html
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:56 AM

I would suggest that you stay within walking distance of the Sofitel, as you don't want to have to try get a taxi on NYE home or out, and probably don't want to deal with the subway either (at least not home that late too much waiting most likely). Besides if you are dressed for it, walking is so pleasant with the windows and town all decorated for Christmas. The Sofitel is at west 44th Street, so you have a large number of restaurants to choose from. "Restaurant Row" at 46th Street is very close, with perennial Italian favorites like Barbetta (www.barbettarestaurant.com) Orso (http://www.orsorestaurant.com).

Morgans Hotel is quite walkable from your hotel too (37th and Madison) and has a great restaurant at Asia de Cuba, or their bar would be fun for midnight. You are right at Lord & Taylor basically and can see their wonderful windows. (http://www.morganshotel.com/ . They also operate the Royalton Hotel which is basically yards from your hotel and has a nice bar too, don't know about their restaurants but may be worth a try.) I also like the Bryant Park Grill at the main public library at W 40th (www.bryantpark.org/amenities/dining.php).

If you want to head up to Central Park, then by all means try the Boathouse right in the park (http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.c...ions/home.htm; IMO would be great for brunch on NY Day) or perhaps Tavern on the Green, the food can be hit or miss sometimes, but on NYE the pretty setting may more than make up for it. (http://www.tavernonthegreen.com/)

You have a nice budget, so you might want to get the Zagat guide, look at the neighborhood around the Sofitel, and then choose. I would make a reservation soon though....

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

How about a 4 mile run around the park with champagne at the turn? Woohoo!

http://www.nyrr.org/races/2007/r1231x00.asp

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM

by the way BigT I stayed at the Sofitel last december and it was great! great service and the concierges are also great (specially rene madrigal)
have a good time!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Circle Line and several other boat lines will have dinner cruises that feature a view of the fireworks from the water.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Carlota i am really looking forward to it. Staying at Giraffe on the way in for 4 nights and then at the Sofitel at the end of the vacation. Booked dinner at Gordon Ramsey at the London and trying to get into Per Se as well! Seeing Grease, Radio City Music Hall, Harlem Gospel Choir and lots of walking and no doubt shopping. Really should be fun.

Lots of great suggestions here, just need to book something......dont think the run is for me though!

Thanks all,

BigT
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM

There is a very special concert on New Year's Eve that happens every year at St. John the Divine, which is the largest cathedral in the US on 110th St and Amsterdam Ave.

The concert is the Annual Concert for Peace, with a cast of thousands, actually hundreds, lol. There is an orchestra, chorus of at last 100 singers (yup that's me the redhead at the end of the soprano section).

Harry Smith of CBS is the MC for the evening and each year there is a Broadway or Opera Star as the featured singer. One year we were privlaged to have Judy Collins sing and she was wonderful. (I even got to talk to her, well actually she asked me where the rest room was, lol)

If you are interested, please let me know and I can get tickets so you can sit with the families and friends of the chorus.

A couple of years ago several Fodorites took me up on the offer and said they had a great time.

So anyone interested, please let me know and I'll start a list of how many tickets needed.

The concert starts around 7pm, and we're out by 9 so there's still lots of time left to the evening for more festivities.

I do have to say that this concert is a GREAT way to start out the New Year.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM

How about a comedy club in NYC? I'm actually looking into that for myself this year.

I don't know if you like sports, but last year, my husband and I went to the Jets football game which ended around 4pm - then out to dinner. It wasn't a mid-night celebration, but it was very nice and a lot of fun.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I would agree with staying in your neighborhood on NYE--cabs are really hard to come by.

The Modern attached to the MOMA is a good choice in your budget.

http://www.themodernnyc.com/modern/modern.html
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Love the idea of a Comedy Club or a Football game, both sound great.

Awesome ideas, only problem with a football game is we are driving back from Vermont that day so may stretch it to make a game.

Any suggestions for comedy stores?

I think a nice dinner and comedy club would be great.

BigT
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Per Se came back with a confirmed ooking for new years eve early seating, although more than i wanted to spend, it looks like the only chance i will get to dine at Per Se so gladly accepted it. It is in walking distance of the hotel so perfect and we will be out early enough to do something else should we wish.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
BigT
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 04:02 AM

That will be a nice treat. If you want a comedy club, Stand Up NY is on the upper west side. In the same building as Per Se (Time Warner building), the Mandarin Oriental hotel (different entrance) starts on the 35th floor and has a nice view from their lobby lounge. Dizzy's Coca Cola is a good jazz club also inside the same building.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Ok so New Years is done and i am back to reality with a bump. Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the help provided on this board and to let you know what a great time was had. I will post highlights separately but have to say that Per Se was a highlight and certainly was the number one experience i have ever had in terms of dining on any level. It was truly great.

Thank you again for all your advise,

Big T