Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC - New Year's Eve dinner for 10 - restaurant suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:04 AM
suzanne

Hi all-
My friends and I are looking for a good Manhattan restaurant for 4-5 couples to have dinner on New Year's Eve. It should be FAR from the tourist crowd (i.e., not in West Midtown/Times Square area). And it can't be too pricey or overwhelmingly loud (no 20-something dance parties, please!) One place we are looking into is America.

Can anyone recommend anything else, based on personal experience? Thanks!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
J

That's a pretty big group. I hope you're able to find a reservation. I'd book America now if you can get it. You might also try Tribeca Grill.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:02 AM
travelbuff

If you like Italian, you can probably still get into Quatro Gati, it's one of my fav Italian restaurants and it's on the upper east side (81st just east of 3rd Ave). I am always amazed that the place is not full on New Years, and they do a nice job of making the evening special. Great food, try the beef carpacio.

We usually go there after a concert on New Year's Eve and have never thought to make reservations and there is always a table available.

Hope this helps.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:18 PM
suzanne

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to Quatro Gatti (my bf lived upstairs). I'm looking for someplace less expensive, though...

The search continues!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Nancy

Well, I could have sent you half a dozen or more terrific suggestions if only you had posted a valid e-mail address.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:32 PM
travelbuff

America will be LOUD, but fun, and you can probably still get a reservation, but don't plan on being able to actually talk to anyone at the table, for the sound.

How about Rio Grande on 3rd and 38th or Ollie's on Broadway at 68th, Lan on 3rd and 11th, and I'll try to come up with a few more tomorrow.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Lynn

To Nancy, I wish you would post your suggestions here on the board instead of emailing them privately. This way others may benefit without having to post the same questions in the future. I used to post my correct email address on boards like these until I started getting heaps of spam and email delivered viruses.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Lizzie

How about Flor de Sol in Tribeca? Tapas and sangria, very fun but not nightclubby atmosphere; they'll probably have music and dancers for the special occasion! We love this place. The food's great and the prices quite reasonable.

I have never been here, but walked by Le Madri on 17th and 7th last night. Saw some big groups and they seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:27 AM
suzanne

Nancy- sorry, I can't risk posting my address - the only email I have is through work.

Travelbuff- You're right, America IS kind of loud! I have done many group lunches/dinners there before though. I will take a look at the other places you suggested.

Lizzie- I have been to Flor de Sol - great suggestion! Will look into Le Madri too.

Thanks, all!