New Years Eve dining suggestions for San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in San Diego over New Year's and was hoping to find a really neat place to eat for New Year's Eve. I will be with my husband and 18 year old son. It would not have to be 5* but nice ambience and excellent food. Pretty much open to any type of cuisine. Maybe something unique to San Diego. We have a rental car so the location is not a problem either. Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 07:52 AM

I would try for George's at the Cove in La Jolla, or Casa de Bandini in Old Town. The first is a casual Cal-cuisine place with incredible ocean views. The second serves some of the best Mexican food you'll eat in San Diego in a restored historic building. There are lots of good choices in San Diego. The main issue is whether you'll get a table or not. Make your decision early, make phone calls immediately to see about reserving a place (they may have limited seating times). Best of luck to you!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 08:20 AM
ltt

considering your bringing an 18 year old, casa de bandini might be a more exciting place. it is outdoors but they have heaters throughout the restaurant but if it is a particularly cold night, it might not be the best suggestion. but after dinner, waundering around old town would probably be fun.
or pick a place downtown in the gaslamp district. however, with your son being underage, after dinner, you couldn't go into many of the licensed lounges but there should still be a lot of people out on the street.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. My son is a great person to travel with. Loves to eat at great restaurants and enjoys the creme de la cuisine. Kinda like me! I have read a lot about George's. Might try the Mexican place for another night. If George's is a problem, booking wise, where else would you suggest. Maybe Italian or even Indian....??
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM

For Italian, Il Fornaio-2 locations in Del Mar & on Coronado.

Another idea is AR Valentian at the Lodge at Torrey Pines. Great rest. & hotel & ambiance.

The Prado rest in Balboa Park is good (not great) food but nice atmosphere & the Park might have something special going on that night.

BTW, when I was at George's in La Jolla at night, you couldn't see the water in the dark.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend one location over another for the Il Fornaio restaurants...especially with it being New Year's Eve? Is one area better to walk around in or explore by car than the other?
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:55 PM

I have not been to the Del Mar Il Fornaio, but my husband and I frequent the one in Coronado. If you go early enough you can catch the ferry from downtown to the Coronado ferry landing, which lets you off right by the restaurant. The ferry landing is a very walker-friendly area filled with charming shops, duck ponds, fountains, a rose garden, and has spectacular views of the city. The ferry ride back across the bay is breathtaking, looking up at downtown all lit up. I think the ferry usually runs until about 10pm, but it may be extended for New Year's.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Jocelyn, Thanks for the tip on the ferry ride. We are staying at the Sheraton on Harbour Island, is the ferry connection near there? I called and they are having two different New Year's Eve seatings. The first being regular menu and the second being a prix fix four course meal. Will check out the ferry times for new years and book accordingly. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:15 PM

You're very welcome apseals--that ferry ride is one of my favorite activities in San Diego, especially at night. It leaves from Broadway and Harbor, about a mile or two down the coast from your hotel, right downtown. The ferry is a whopping $2.50 each way. Let me know if you need other suggestions and have a great trip!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

The ferry will be running on a weekend schedule on New Year's Eve. Last departure from the island is 10:30pm. We booked the prix fix four course dinner at 8PM so that should give us plenty of time. Thank you so much for your help. Now we just need to win our football game on the 30th! Hook'em!