Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego Mexican food fans - the best carnitas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a short trip to San Diego with DS (13yrs) and we are trying to scope out our best bets to feed our Mexican food cravings. We have always loved the carnitas at the Old Town Mexican Cafe (although nothing else on their menu is outstanding, IMO). However, the place is getting very mixed reviews. Has it changed in the past few years? Is there a better place for carnitas?

We are also thinking of going to Chuey's or Miguel's in Coronado, not necessarily for carnitas. Any other suggestions for Mexican restaurants? We won't be venturing out to La Jolla this time (so Alphonsos is out). We will be more in the Coronado, downtown, Point Loma areas.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
TahitiTams

Old Town Mex has really good Carnitas but there is a hole in the wall that is probably one of the best in all of SD and it is under the Coronado Bridge called;
Las Cuatro Milpas
1857 Logan Ave., San Diego
(619) 234-4460
The exit on South 5 is Logan Avenue and go right and it is the last exit before you get on the Coronado Bridge..turn right and the restaurant is facing the freeway and it is next to the Church and it rocks!!
You will see everyone from the Mayor to big time sports guys to the average joe and it is open for Lunch only..
I am not a fan of Chuey's and Miquel's is ok, not great..
Brigantine.com in Coronado/Pt.Loma has the best Fish Tacos for Happy Hour for $2.75 that are outstanding.. Marg's and 2 tacos for under $10 buckaroo's..
I love Fidel's in Solana Beach but you are not headed that way..they have the best Chile Relleno's ever and the Chicken burrito is all white meat and delicious..
Roberto's Taco Shop throughout SD are very good and between the Carne Asada and the Carnitas you will be doing just fine..
Los Panchos restaurant is really good too..
Have fun & enjoy!

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TahitiTams, I had forgotten all about Las Cuatro Milpas -- I used to go there when I lived in SD many moons ago ...and I love those Robertos carne asada burritos! I'll post a trip report when I return.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM

We liked the carnitas at Alfonso's, in La Jolla.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I had really good carnitas at Coyote Cafe in Old Town. We ended up there by basically following our noses