Laguna Beach or Newport Beach with teens?

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Laguna Beach or Newport Beach with teens?

We'll be flying into Orange County and staying 5 nights in March. I was all set to pick Laguna Beach as our base, but in looking at a map I realized that the Pacific Coast Highway goes right through the center of Laguna Beach while if you stayed on the Balboa peninsula in Newport Beach, it looks like there's no through traffic. Also, the stuff around the funzone area looks like it would appeal to teens more than the art galleries and such in Laguna. If I have any of this wrong, let me know. Laguna looks prettier and has a better selection of inns & hotels, but I'm leaning toward Newport. What do you think???
Thanks for your imput.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM

For adults seeking respite and relaxation, Laguna Beach.
For teens looking for as much activity and distraction as possible, Newport Beach.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Hey! Are you planning a trip to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm..Sea World or Catalina? That makes a difference.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Catalina is high on our list, but my group dosen's seem to be the amusement park type. The youngest (14) and I did Disneyworld this past summer. I've gotten a sense that Disneyland is not too exciting just after you've just been to Disneyworld. Anybody have any input on that subject?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:03 AM

We spent several days in OC last summer and LOVED it, but we moved around a bit. So it depends what youre looking for.

If you want to have direct oceanfront accomodations, Laguna is the way to go. However, Newport has more to do, especially for teens. Take the Harbour Cruises (in both directions of the fun zone) for a little taste of Hollywood; our captain regaled us with great stories from past and present celebrity residents. Also, Newport has the BEST shopping with their fashion square mall.

And BTW, altho we do DisneyWORLD most spring breaks, Disney's CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE is totally different and our teens love it! We've been there three times on our cross-country road trips and its well worth it. Go right at opening and you can do it all - and many things TWICE, and still be out of there by 5-600ish.

OC is truly a paradise on the pacific, and you will love it!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 11:31 AM

My oldest son spent every summer during high school in Newport. A friend's family rented a house for a week and he loved it. He said the beaches were some of the best he had ever been to. He's frequented Hawaii and the Bahamas quite a bit. I would say Newport would appeal more to teens. The also went to DL and Knott's from there and it was great!! Have fun! ***kim***
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 02:51 PM

If the lads get hungry..... Visiting my son, he treated me to lunch in Dana Point at the Salt Creek. It was wonderful!