New Year Festivities!

Search

New Year Festivities!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year Festivities!

I thought it would be interesting to find out everyone's New Year plans! I haven't seen a post on that yet.

As for me, my cousin is getting married. There's about a million other places I'd rather be, but it's a free meal and open bar. ;-)

In fact friends received two free hotel rooms in Traverse City for the New Year, through work contacts. I would've MUCH rather done that!!

What are you all doing!?!? Whatever it is I hope it is fun and safe!! Happy New Year to all you wonderful Fodorites!!! I look forward to more interesting and informative discussions in 2004!!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:37 AM

No more New Years Eve Grateful Dead shows. We will be thrilled to put the kids to bed and watch a Three Stooges marathon while eating Chinese food. Times they are a changin'.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:46 AM

We usually have a small get together with family and friends and will be doing so again this year.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

doc ~
Never had the pleasure of a NYE Dead show! Perhaps when I get home from the wedding I could pop in one of the discs from So Many Roads and pretend!! The times they are a changin' indeed!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:00 AM

Cassidy,

Back in the eighties,USA Network would air the NYE Dead Show live. Of course,it would be 3am on the east coast,so it made for a long,strange trip;-)
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 07:37 AM
GoTravel

Notta. Husband is working so I'll have dinner with a girlfriend and drink some wine, meet husband later at one of his restaurants the celebrate the new year.

Now tomorrow is another story! Bowl games and an oyster roast!

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 08:36 AM

Dinner and a hockey game. At least we get to sit in a sky box for the game.

GoTravel-How do you roast oysters? Sounds delicious!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 08:52 AM

My husband and I are checking in to the new Marriott on the waterfront here in Seattle, having dinner at Todd English's Fish Club and then going to a big party hosted by Absolut vodka. It's like a little mini vacation!

(GoTravel if you don't mind I'd love to know about your husband's restaurants. We travel for food!)
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:20 AM
GoTravel

buckeyemom, Lite grill and then go to your local seafood market and get a bushel or a half bushel of oysters. Put butter in large pan on stove on low. Mix equal parts horseradish and catsup for cocktail sauce squeezing in lemon to taste. After coals are ready, cover grill with oysters then take a soaking wet dishrag and squeeze as much water out of it as you can and cover oysters on grill with wet rag. Oysters are done when they start to open.

Make sure everyone has a glove (I use cheap garden gloves) and an oyster knife. Gloves must be thrown away afterwards so buy plenty.

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:46 AM
GoTravel

For an easier method than the grill, put about 1/2 inch of water in a large pan. Spread oysters evenly on bottom of pan, cover with foil. Put in a 400 degree oven until oysters open.

One other peice of advice, not a good idea to bring uncooked oysters in the house unless they are in a covered container. Most oysters you buy by the bushel are in burlap bags or wood boxes.

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

That sounds delish! I think I will try sometime this summer! Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 01:55 PM

Dinner at a FABulous restaurant-Central Market- in beautiful downtown Petaluma with friends. We must be getting old because we don't want to make the drive to Sonoma or St. Helena. Petaluma has come into it's own with some true "destination" eateries of it's own, so it's only a few blocks to home and hearth!
New Years Day we'll head out to Pt.Reyes for oysters (That is if it is not raining sideways dumping 7" like it did Monday! LOL!)
Yes!Yes!Yes! The gloves are a must and even better have an experienced shucker
to demonstrate.We had a "delightful" trip to the ER because of lack of both!
A Happy Joyous New Year with Safe Travels To All!
R5