Reload this Page >

New Tour at Hoover Dam?

Search

New Tour at Hoover Dam?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Janie

New Tour at Hoover Dam?

The Hard Hat tour at Hoover Dam is no longer available since the events of Sept 11. Has anyone taken the new tour? Can you still go down to the base of the dam where the generators are? It was quite a sight to look up at the dam and I hope that this is still included in the tour.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:39 PM
tom

ttt

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:27 AM
xxx

I've not heard of a new tour. Can you be alittle specific. Did you read somewhere that a new tour was started? I'd be interested also.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Big Red

They have stopped doing the tour since the events of 9/11.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Jill

Are they doing the tours yet? We will be there in May.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:41 AM
xxx

I think only the Hard Hat tour is on hold. Others are still operational. Not sure what the new tour is Janie is asking about.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:39 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Jean

For late information go to www.hooverdam.usbr.gov/ They now have a different tour than before 9/11.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:47 PM
david

I was there 2 weeks ago, and I've been on the tour several times before, so I know what's changed.

There is no hardhat tour until further notice (but they admitted it might be re-instated some day)

The standard tour has been changed, and you don't get to see as much of the dam as you used to. Basically, they just take you down to the generator room, and you stand on the balcony and see the generators from a distance. You don't go down to the generator level, and you don't get to go outside to look at the dam from the bottom. They have also cut out the part where you stood in the room on top of one of the main water pipes.

The new tour ends with a visit to the roof of the vistors center...but in the past you could always do that on your own.

It's disappointing compared to the old tour, but, the Dam is still a sight well worth seeing! My wife had never been before so she didn't know what she was missing, and she really enjoyed it