New Tires for Roat Trip

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires for Roat Trip

My question has a very tenuous relation to the general topic of travel.

I need new tires before I leave on a long road trip early next week. My manual states my car requires tires with a V rating; however, only tires with an H rating are available for immediate installation in my area. Guys in several tire shops assure me that the H rating is just fine, but a woman at Samís Club told me that I should buy only tires with a V rating.

What do you say? Will tires with an H rating do the job?
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM

"V" rating means the tire is rated to sustained 149mph (240km/h), "H" rating means it's rated to 130mph (210km/h). Since I doubt you can find roads in the US to drive 130+MPH sustained, safety is not a concern.

However, "V"-rated tires are almost always more "performance"-biased than "H". Performance usually means better dry-road grip, though many "V" (or higher) rated tired also have excellent wet-road grip.

So, ask yourself what you want in your tire. Tires in an EXTREMELY important component in your car's performance - it affects dry grip and wet grip (both cornering and braking), snow performance, noise, ride comfort - and some last a lot longer than others.

One should really learn about them before purchasing. Or buy the original equipment tires.

Or tell us what car you have - year, model, trim - and what tires are on the car right now, and what sizes. Then tell us your preference. And what tire models can you get in your area right now.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan, Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have a 2000 Honda Accord, 6V. The original tires were V rated 205/65R15.

The best tires I can find in stock locally are BF Goodrich Traction TA 205/65R15, which are H rated.

When I took my car was inspected at 82849 milles (01/06/05) the tires were 6/32 all around.

Yesterday, at 90000 miles the tires were 2/32 (LF), 3/32 (RF), 4/32 (LR), and 4/32 (RR).

(I should add that the 01/06/05 report was way wrong about the rear brakes and, as a result, Honda gave me a free brake job.)

I leave Thursday for California, and I am told it takes 7-10 days to get delivery on special ordeer tires in Seattle.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I would call Discount Tire - surely there must be one or more in Seattle.
Downgrading tires is mostly ill advised.
M
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:00 AM

"H"-rated tires are fine for a Honda Accord, unless you really need the best dry-grip performane from your car. Ignore what the Sam's Club lady says, even though she's technically, legally and morally correct in not selling you a "H"-rated tire.

Now, I also agree with mikemo. Go to a Discount Tire store. They have plenty in the Seattle area. If the store you go to tomorrow (they're closed Sunday) doesn't have one, they can tell you which other store has it. And even if they order one, it should come in in a day or two. 205/65r15 is a fairly common tire size. I can't believe they can't find one in all of Seattle.

I am looking up discounttire.com. I see the BFGoodrich Traction. But I think I'd pick the Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus for a few dollars more each. From their website, they have that in stores at 12950 Bel-Red Rd, Bellevue; 810 Ne Northgate Way, Seattle; and 31414 Pacific Hwy S, Federal Way.

The Dunlop is an updated version of a an excellent best selling model, and has good treadwear that's even better than the BFGoodrich. Should be perfect for your car in Seattle (or most places in the US).
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Let me add:

If you're more performance-oriented and like to corner and brake fast, you can consider the Yokohama AVS dB S2, which is about the same price as the other two. However, you will sacrifice treadwear and snow traction. It is "V"-rated, however, if that still concern you.

5 Discount Tire stores in the Seattle area have them in stock in your size.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

You have been extremely helpful. Thank you.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Excuse me,

Wow this board has info on everything including travel. I clicked on the CamelBak threads and found that it was informative and correct but at the bottom of it, it was turned into some vendetta thing between some posers.

Having worked for Uncle Sam around tires for a few years I feel like I know my stuff too. Kwan is right about all the above. You have to ask yourself if you'll ever go much faster than the speed limit on highways. You don't really need a Vrated tire. The Hrated tire will work for nearly every passenger car around. The keys are the treadwear, temp, traction ratings. Dunlop used to make a great D40M2 and now have replaced that tire designation with some newer technology and new names. They make good tires at Dunlop.

Michelin makes the tires that are considered by industry insiders to be the most accurately round. In the mfg process, their tires don't overlap like other companies do, so the tires don't need to be re-balanced after mounting as severely as the others. A tire at high speeds will be out of round and much more noticeable. [This is especially important for us with aircraft tires. More on that another time. If I told you too much, I'd have to kill you, LOL!]
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I can;t believe you're having trouble getting tires for an Accord in Seattle - it's not an unusual tire.

Have you tried Sears - my beau and I both have cars with slightly unusuaI tires but have always just walked in and they have whatever you need.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I tried Sears--they have a set of the BF Goodrich Traction T/A in stock. Also, a local company (Courtesy Tires) told me late on Saturday that he could probably help me if I call back on Monday morning.

Firestone, Goodyear, and Les Schwab had no V rated tires in my size, and that's what I asked for when I called them.

I was not attracted to the company name "Discount Tires," but, now that it has been recommended, I will give them a call first thing on Monday morning.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Michelin makes great tires in general, but their prices for OEM-replacement are so out-of-whack that I can hardly recommend them for regular use.

Only when one needs the best performance and when cost isn't an issue.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Don't worry about Discount Tire. It's a major national chain with excellent service. You can go into any of their stores to get free tire rotation or repair.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM

The Discount Tire Store in Plano just N of Dallas on the toll road near Costco used to supply most all of the SCCA, Porsche, BMW and other "performance" folks. That particular outlet was very highly recommended and they usually matched prices from Tire Rack and other discounters ads.
M
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

From what I read, the Yokohama AVS dB S2 sounds like a real winner, and that's what I'm going to try for on Monday morning.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM

rkkwan, I second that notion regarding the Michelins and apply the same to the Conti's that came on the Benz originally. But, Michelin is typically an outstanding tire. Goodyear is typically overpriced for what their wear ratings are. Had a corvette for a while and those tires were always a heavy hit. Just for the record, I wouldn't take any car to Sears or the others similar to Sears --- for anything. They may have cleaned up their collective act, but for some time there were many disturbing stories to be found at www.ftc.gov
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM

I've never used Sears auto for much, except for Diehard batteries in the past. [I don't anymore]. But like most auto places, it's often a hit-and-miss. One of my open-track buddies actually get an excellent Sears tech to align his car to his track spec!

But back to tires, each brand has its good and bad tires. So, what we're talking here is just in very broad general terms, and not about specific tires. For example, Michelin's XGTV4s are considered death traps by Integras drivers, Bridgestone's RE92s are hated by all WRX drivers, I've had Yokohama Paradas (1st generation) that are total crap.

Meanwhile, Goodyear's F1 Supercar is an excellent tire, and so are BFGoodrich's KD/KDW. And I love the Kumho MXs which I've driven on a track, even though Kumho is a generally a budget brand.

Anyways, back on topic, I don't think the OP can do too wrong with the Dunlop SP Sport A2 or the Yokohama AVS dB S2. Both are excellent tires, but each has its own strengths.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Yep. Yep. Agreed. I was careful to include "typically" in my statements.

Hmmmm, I believe I had XGTV4s or something very similar on my Audi. I'd need to check invoices to be certain. It's an all weather tire, right? I know that the F1 tire wasn't available when I was ricocheting around town in the vette.
Wow, the RE92, eh? I used to run XP2000Hs and RE71s on a mustang during college days. Comp T/As were several pounds lighter (exact figure escapes me so many years later) and the reduced weight provided phenomenal results.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all--especially rkkwan. I would never have called Discount Tire Co. without your recommendation.

I went with the Yokohama AVS dB S2 because of (1) the recommendation here, (2) owners' enthusiasm for the tires which I read about on the internet, and (3) the V rating.

With new tires, new rear brakes, and 90,000-mile service, I am ready to hit the road for San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, etc. on Thursday.