New show called "Airline" starts Monday.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
jor
Original Poster

New show called "Airline" starts Monday.

I hope I have this right. There is a new reality show called "Airline" on A&E which starts on Monday at 9, 8 central. The promos show people getting all hot under the collar at the check-in line, etc. I think people who fly would really get into this show. Check it out. \/
Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
jor
Original Poster

oops, make that 10, 9 central.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM

Oh, goody. I've just been dying to see another "reality" show. Yawn.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:04 PM

I saw this too in a magazine, I think Southwest is the airline.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:16 PM

The "Airport" series they filmed at LHR a couple of years ago was really great. I hope this one is half as good.

BTW, these types of documentaries can honestly be called "reality". They are nothing like all the so-called reality shows that seem to be so popular.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM

I have a question - if this is truly "reality TV" and I would gather that most of this is people being upset or behaving badly - how are they able to put it on TV? If they seek a release from these people - why would they agree?
Jan 4th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Let me try to answer that last question, methinks. Did you ever see Jerry Springer?
Jan 4th, 2004, 09:38 AM

You notice that the airline they are monitoring is Southwest. Southwest has a much different approach to their employees than other airlines. Their employees will probably come out smelling like roses. They should use some of the crabs from British Airways. It would be more interesting.
Jan 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Must Miss TV for me. LMF
Jan 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Funny.. I was just gonna post a question about this new show too.
I just heard an advertisement about this reality show (Airline). I'm gonna check it out myself. The airline sponsering this show is Southwest. I heard they approached Northwest and United but they declined. Good publicity for Southwest. I've never flown them either.This ought to be interesting.
Jan 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM

FYI
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Southwest rules.
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I'll have to check it out!
Jan 5th, 2004, 08:08 PM

I can't believe they gave such a hard time to the couple with the children!!
Jan 5th, 2004, 08:24 PM
mp

Gotham PC - I can't believe those parents would put their precious "18 month old" at risk by not buying him a seat! The inference in the show was that under 2 years old fly free - did that mean they get a seat for him for free or get to hold him in their laps for free? Not to start THAT thread again! But it is so clearly dangerous! And they didn't seem to have a car seat for the kid to strap the kid in either. ..

I thought the show, (for what it is) was fairly entertaining. Great publicity for the airline (as the British version is for EasyJet). But it did actually make you (me) sympathize with some of the employees. Then again, if I ever got on a 3 hour flight with 3 singing, dancing bad joke telling flight attendants, I'd be screaming to get off after 30 seconds . . .
Next week's episode on the blackout this past August should be . . . interesting!
Jan 6th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Never watch reality shows, but I had read that this one was really worthwhile....The employee handlng the family with the18 month old should have told them the option of paying for a seat and then sending proof of the babies age for a refund in the beginning.. All in all I don't think as an employee I would have had the patience with some of the passengers.Had great sympathy for the employee who had to ask a passenger to wash up and change clothes because of his odor. The poor man looked mortified... Southwest had alot of guts allowing the filming...I understand they had no control over the filming and I applaud them.
Jan 6th, 2004, 05:42 AM
GoTravel

I thought it was great.

I don't think it was a matter of the 18 month old having a seat but having to pay for a seat. Evidently, if you are under two on Southwest, you fly for free. Can't believe the parents made such a stink especially when the agent called the hospital.

Also thought in the very first show the women complaining the agent was racist was weird.

Kudos to the gay guy for changing careers and doing what he really loves. I thought that was great!

Jan 6th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I thought the agent was too harsh and could have handled the 18 month old situation differently. Glad they finally got on! I'm personally sick of the race card issue.Weird is too kind of a word. Rules are rules no matter what race you are (one could have played that card with the 18 month old situation..couldn't one?!!!) Any of you want to be a gate agent? Not me! I liked the show. Next time you fly--remember to be nice to the gate agent!
Jan 6th, 2004, 06:21 AM

ParrotMom, I agree. Southwest allows children under 2 to fly on their parent's lap. That gate agent should have made the "pay then prove" option available at the beginning.

I also felt sorry for the overweight guy. He just wasn't having a good day.

I didn't know they could deny boarding because of body odor. I wonder if that could be challenged in court.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO