New Orleans with a 1yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:10 PM
tracy

Hello,

We will be visiting NOLA in early September and we will be bringing our 1 yr old! Any suggestions on things to do places to go with a little one. She's a pretty good traveller. We will be staying in the French quarter.

Thanks!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:24 PM
D

The Louisiana Children's Museum is great for young ones - the even have a play area for infants. It's located in the Warehouse District - a new trendy area.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
susan

My recollection is that children that age are pretty easily entertained by anything new! You might take her to the Audubon Zoo, or to the Aquarium, which is on the edge of the French Quarter. I think she'd enjoy a streetcar ride up St. Charles, too. There's a free ferry ride across the river to Algiers. And Jackson Square is filled with street entertainers. I think New Orleans is a great place for children!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Nancy

Please don't take that baby out on Bourbon St. at night!!!!! That is no place for a child under 16!! Night time on Bourbon St. is for adults & these adults are drunk!!!!!

During the day try the Aquarium of the Americas down by the Riverwalk. It should hold the attention of everyone.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Monica

Nancy, relax. If their child is anything like mine, she will be asleep in bed long before Bourbon street gets going.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:11 AM
roxanne

I'm local and have a 1 year old so here's some things she enjoys doing. Audubon zoo, feeding the ducks at audubon park across the street, the aquarium, Children's museum, Storyland at City Park and any place else she can run around. I've haven't done it yet but would think she would like Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras museum. Also a street car ride might be fun.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:31 AM
tracy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and great ideas. Don't worry we wouldn't bring her to Bourbon Street at night, we made sure to book a place that had a nice courtyard and pool so we could have somewhere to hang out at night.