New Orleans for the day

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans for the day

We are going to be traveling too close to New Orleans to resist stopping there this weekend, though it wasn't on our vacation agenda originally!

We (family of 4 (kids 13 & 8)) will arrive around noon and plan to eat lunch, see a few sites (?), and likely return to hotel during the evening. Cafe du Monde is on the agenda for Sunday morning before we head east to the beach for vacation.

Since this is sort of spur of the moment, not a lot of thought has gone into planning for a New Orleans trip. Suggestions for our one day adventure in NO would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to stay somewhere interesting and easy to get around to points of interest (french quarter?). We'd also like to eat somewhere with local flavor, but not make a big deal out of it (not expensive and most likely for lunch).

Thanks for any help with our trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Visit the WWII museum for one.
Ride the trolley from end to end.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I recently visited New Orleans and think the Loew Hotel offers very spacious rooms if you are getting just one for you and your kids.

I would stroll the Riverwalk and Jackson Square and French Quarter. Maybe take the ferry over to see Mardi Gras Museum, although I have never done that, the kids would surely like that.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM

BTW we had hoped the IMAX Hurricane film would have been more powerful. It was a bit of a dissapointment.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:59 AM

Would also suggest walking through Jackson Square, the French Quarter, and Riverwalk. Maybe take the trolley along the Riverwalk. Plenty of shops and good restaurants. Take the St Charles St trolley through the Garden District to the end of the line, then return. Might want to stop off at Audubon Park along the way - visit the Zoo and IMAX.

Have also heard the WWII Museum is very good, but we haven't been yet.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:16 AM

The WWII Museum is excellent but it is not something (obviously) that is distinctly NOLA. I would walk around the FQ (incl Riverwalk, Jackson Sq, St Louis Cathedral), ride the street car through the garden district, and maybe take a cemetery tour.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. That is more or less what I planned on - FQ, Jackson Square, streetcar (can we stay on it and make a round trip?) and St Louis Cathedral.

Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I haven't made reservations yet.

Any advice on a casual place to eat in the area we'll be in?
DH was/is interested in Mother's...I'm finding some really bad comments from visitors though??

Thanks again!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Streetcar - the last time we did this (some years ago) we technically had to get off and buy another ticket, but that may not be the case now.

Eats: Acme Oyster House, Mr. B's Bistro

We've only eaten breakfast at Mother's. It's plain, simple food in a very local setting and every time it has been very good. Gets crowded early.

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - Acme Oyster House looks good. I haven't looked at Mr B's yet.

Any more hotel or restaurant suggestions?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM

We were in NO this past February & did the street car. They had everyone exit at the end of the line and purchase another fare to return.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM

If you want to keep it simple, walk around the French Quarter- lots of art, antique, and specialty shopping (not to mention first-class people watching).

The streetcar is also a good idea- but remember it's scorching right now in New Orleans (high today of 95). So, make sure to include activities that incorporate time for air conditioning breaks. One way to do this might be to visit the New Orleans Museum of Art- which is at the end of the Carrollton streetcar line.

Elizabeth's is an AMAZING breakfast spot- if you're willing to drive a little bit out of your way.
601 Gallier. 944-9272.

You absolutely MUST get a little soemthing sweet from Angelo Brocato's. Local, old-fashioned gelato shoppe on Carrollton Ave. http://www.angelobrocatoicecream.com

The Loews is awesome! Spacious rooms, great views, and the Swizzle Stick bar downstairs is a great place to grab a nightcap before heading upstairs.

I'm not sure if it's too late, but the Tales of The Cocktail Festival runs from July 16th - 20th.
http://www.talesofthecocktail.com/2008/index.php

Enjoy the city!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info you gave me.

We arrived in New Orleans on a Saturday afternoon and checked in to the Drury Inn. It was a nice place to stay near French Quarter area and the rate ($80+$15 parking) could not be beat. Our kids loved the rooftop pool (though it was somewhat small).

It was hot outside, but we chose to walk instead of dealing with parking the car, and set out to explore the area. We walked and walked! We went all the way to Canal St and the Rivercenter Shops before stopping. We paused there (at the Mississippi) and took some pictures and got something to drink. How neat it was to get some daiquiris in a to-go cup and keep walking.

After shopping a bit (and cooling off) we wandered back through French Quarter, visiting many shops, observing street performers, artists & other interesting characters, pausing at Jackson Square to watch a wedding party arriving, taking lots of pictures of the area and the cathedral.

Soon we found ourselves, starving, in front of Acme Oyster House. There was already a line outside, but it moved faster than expected. Soon we were seated and getting to know another vacationing family at the table that was pushed beside ours. We ordered local beer (can't remember the name) delicious chargrilled oysters, and a shrimp po-boy. DH thought this place had the best oysters ever! There was nothing really for the kids, so we let them eat ice cream for dinner. What do you know? Now they think Acme Oyster House was great too. lol

After dinner, we caught a cab back to the hotel and let the kids swim in the rooftop pool.

Sunday morning, we drove through the Garden District. We really enjoyed seeing the beautiful homes there. We then stopped by Cafe du Monde for one more serving of beignets (our son's favorite part of NO) before heading east to the beach for the rest of our vacation.