New Orleans Where to Stay in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Paul

Hello,

My wife and I are planning an anniversary trip to New Orleans in October. We'd like to know opinions on where to stay. Our price range is $100.00 to $200.00 per night.

Should we stay in the French Quarter or is there a more central location for walking to attractions? Is "downtown" New Orleans walking distance to most attractions? We've never been before and we're not sure if staying in the French Quarter is necessary. We know it gets crowded during Mardi Gras, but is it always packed? We're not an old couple, but we don't want to listen to screaming drunk wild people (after we've stopped drinking and yelling) all night.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:49 PM
susan

You won't have to worry about Mardi Gras, but you WILL have to worry about finding rooms in the busiest convention month of the year. You should definitely stay in the French Quarter. Start looking now!!!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:02 PM
texasgirl

Hi, my last few trips, I've stayed in the CBD _ central business district _ and actually like it better than the French Quarter. You're still within walking distance, a few blocks from the Quarter; you are very close to the streetcar line for getting into the garden district; plus it seems quieter and it seems that's where a lot of the good new hotels have gone up. The Monaco, the International House and one of the Ws are there. technically i think the ritz is in the CBD too.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:20 PM
ronald

Maybe you will even get to see them use the hurricane gates!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Rob

I would recommend staying in the Faubourg Marigny, adjacent to the Quarter. Travel & Leisure Magazine did an article, "America's Next Great Neighborhoods", in their April 2002 edition. The Marigny was listed. They also listed some places to stay in the Marigny.
Frenchman Street, where all the "hip" Jazz clubs are, is in the Marigny. My humble opinion is that locals party on Frenchman, tourists and Frat boys party on Bourbon.You may want to check out www.marigny.net and www.bbnola.com for interesting B&Bs in the Marigny and throughout the city.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
x

In our experience, most of the raucous drunkenness (and it IS raucous) is confined to the Bourbon St. area. There are quiet places to stay in the Quarter - including Soniat House on Chartres St., which has a nice 'tucked away' feel. (If you do a search here, you should come up with a number of threads that include good experiences with SH). It's pricey, but might come in just under your $200 limit. And just up the same street is a less costly alternative that's had quite a few good responses/experiences (including ours) - Hotel Provincial. Also on Chartres is the Hotel Richelieu - and Ithink that has garnered some good posts here. Good luck - and Happy Anniversary!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:27 AM
x

i think staying in the quarter is best. however, i'd stay on the outskirts off of bourbon street. we stayed at a place called the chateau motor hotel on shartres street. nice little hotel a few blocks from the major action, so it was quiet at night and close to the river. the rooms are very small though so if you like a decent size room - it's not this place. nice pool & court yard.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:27 AM
xxxx

We think the French Quarter is the best part of New Orleans. If I were going to stay in any other neighborhood, it would be the Fauburg Marigny. We like staying on the "lower" side of the French Quarter. It is definately quieter. The Hotel Provincial is very reasonable and the service we had there was great. We've heard nothing but good things about the Le Richilieu. They have free secured off street parking! We've stayed at LaFitte Guest House and it's very quaint. I believe it should fit your price range. It's on Bourbon, but on the residential end. It's right across the street from LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop, which is one of the oldest buildings in the Quarter. Now a piano bar, it's a great place for a night cap when staying at the Guest House across the street. Try their Hurricane. It's our favorite in the Quarter. Yes, even better than Pat O's.

We've also stayed at the Bourbon Orleans. Talk about centrally located! And we didn't have any trouble with street noise. We asked for an interior room. They are cheaper then balcony rooms anyway. The Bourbon Orleans is a large hotel though, and we have heard mixed reviews. Our stay was just fine, but others have had trouble with housekeeping. October is supposed to be one of the best and busiest times in New Orleans. I hear Halloweeen is almost as busy as Mardi Gras. Happy Anniversary and have a great trip.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Joe

I stayed in a wornderful place walking distance to everything (across the MIss from the French Quarter, free ferry) . A old neighborhood called Algiers Point. It was an unexpected highlight of our trip. Stayed a a great B&B. THere are a few B&Bs there, but I am sure this one is special, low key, yet friendly & fun.
Called House of the Rinsing Sun B&B (not a brothel). THe owners led us in all the right directions. Had a great time.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:12 PM
J Correa

We stayed in the Quarter on Royal Street - a block off Bourbon. Unless you are their during Mardi Gras, the partying is pretty much confined to Bourbon Street. Royal was very quiet.