Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - My Self-Control Went Out the Window - WHAT'S WITH THAT???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just returned from 4 days in the Crescent City. I hate heat and humidity but hubby had a convention so I tagged along.

We are not Foodies but I studied the forum before we left and realized that there were going to be way more great restaurants than time would allow. I am currently trying to lose 20 lbs. this year.

What surprised me was that we kept on eating. It didn't matter that we were full. Time for another meal. Time for beignets. Time for another meal. Time for beignets. You get the picture. How did New Orleans force us to do this?

By the way, we ate at Acme Oyster House, Red Fish Grill, Deanies, Brigtsens, The Gumbo Shop (twice) and got muffalettas from Central Grocery. Then, of course, there was the nightly visit to Café DuMonde. Everything we ate was fabulous (except I wouldn't choose the fried seafood platter at Deanies again - way too much fried food).

We stayed at the Iberville Suites and were quite happy with our room and great service.

While hubby was busy with his convention, I went on tours each morning:
* Oak Alley Plantation (Gray Lines, $36)
* French Quarter Historic Tour (Friends of the Cabildo, $12)
* Cemetery and Voodoo Tour (Historic NO Tours, $15) I especially enjoyed the visit to the cemetery.

Even though I sweat gallons of perspiration and walked many miles, I still managed to gain 5 pounds. WHAT'S WITH THAT?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Glad you had a great time in New Orleans!!!

Forget the pounds -- it's all water.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM

I think it is one of those rules of traveling, where there is good food, you must eat it. Plain and simple, they put it out, you eat it up.
We were in Savannah, hot and humid, walked and sweated, still gained a couple of pounds. My problem was dessert..oh yeah, and the free pralines they hand out..I cannot imagine how I would manage to go to NO and summon any self control.
Glad you enjoyed it though
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Tasting the food that is not from your area, is one of the good things about travel.
Welcome back, DixieChick.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM

So Dixiechick, which convention did your hubby go to? NECC, Ebay, or the women professional's convention? I was there attending one myself, and got back on Wed. night after 5 days.

Glad to hear you had a good time...there's so much to sample in N.O., isn't there? Also went to ACME's, and found it exactly what the forums here said...good oysters and ok food. Still, I enjoyed it. Bayona was good, but it took a long time for the food to come out!

How were those muffalettas? I just saw that on the food channel with Rachel Ray tonight. Looked like good value!

Most of my colleagues gained weight. Unbelievably, I did not. But that might have had something to do with the all-night dancing I did to burn off those calories!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Crazymina,
It was the NECC. I did not have any desire to hang around the Morial Convention Center when there was so much to see (and eat!)
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:50 PM
bonniebroad

DixieChick, my son & his wife were just in NOLA, and they loved the Cemetery/Voodoo Tour, and were just blown away by all the food. Ate almost constantly for four days, I think. Don't worry about the five pounds.... it's probably just that heavy humidity soaked into you that has to work it's way out!

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:58 AM

I always say there is something in the water here. Whenever I have moved away I always count the days til I can come back. Don't know if it's the food, people ,or attitude but it is something.

As for the weight gain... I always try to eat the most while standing up. That way the weight goes straight to the feet & I can walk it off! Now you know why we have a holiday called "Fat" Tuesday & a part of the metro area called "Fat City"!!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:12 AM
bonniebroad

Benj, is that the secret???!!! If I eat standing up, and then walk around, that takes care of the fat!!! Thank you, I'll be a size 10 before you know it!

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:51 AM

We went in May and I found that if you keep your beignet eating to the mornings only, you don't gain weight!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:11 AM

I've found the secret to not gaining weight while traveling is to walk. I'm up every single day at dawn and have walked at least on hour around the Quarter before dear husband is even ready for breakfast.

Actually, this year we even walked in a 5K fundraiser for the 'little red school house' in the Quarter. It was fun.

Just keep walking a lot, and those extra pounds will come off.

Jean
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Lucky you DixieChick! I had to exhibit at NECC, so I was stuck...but it didn't get in the way of my chowing through the town...especially on the company dime!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:28 AM

DixieChick, I feel this way every time I'm in NO! You just cannot pass up all that wonderful food, and I think there's an unwritten rule that says one must eat beignets multiple times throughout the day!

A few years ago, my husband and I had lost a lot of weight and then ended up in NO. I was determined to enjoy myself while there and actually ended up nauseated from all that delicious food! We are headed back in July, so we're exercising like crazy now and trying to eat a little lighter since we know we'll pig out while there. I hope that I can control myself a bit, however, since I don't want to end up sick again, especially knowing how hot and humid it will be in July.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:59 AM

DixieChick,
You may have been there when my husband and I were in New Orleans... we ate at Acme Oyster, the Gumbo Shop, and Central Grocery Store. We went back on Father's Day, but they were closed We rode the street cars everywhere! Loved the beignets at Café du Monde... we went there twice. You really got to see a lot in just 4 days. We were only there 3 days, so we didn't take any tours except the Garden District walking tour. We just walked around the French Quarter from early in the morning and ate

Best,
Sandy