Search

New Orleans - Bon Ton, etc....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans - Bon Ton, etc....

Hi all.....

I'll be in New Orleans in April (for the FQ Fest), and it will be my first (though I'm sure,not last) visit. I'm already researching all the restaurants I want to dine at, but it's a very difficult job. I'll have an easier time, I think, with the more expensive places than with the local, divey kinds. Any help you could give me would be appreciated...

Thoughts on the following?

Uglesich's - I've wanted to go for a loong time - some on another board say it's gone downhill. True?

Bon Ton Cafe

Dooky Chase

Mandina's

Liuzza's..

Any others I'm missing?

Thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:59 AM

We try and make an annual trip to New Orleans for Quarter Fest. We find that we usually end up having lunch at the various food booths in Jackson Square and along the river. Reasonably priced sample or appetizer sized portions of a huge variety of different foods. So, there may be a good chance you won't have that many days for lunch choices anyway. Just a thought...
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Feelings Cafe is a wonderful spot. Great food, service and atmosphere.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:56 AM
BKD

Uglesich's - has not gone downhill

Bon Ton Cafe-it's always crowded so I guess folks like it. For me, never really got turned on.

Dooky Chase-haven't been in years, but frankly you'll do better at Praline Connection on Frenchmen St. for soul food. Safer neighborhood. Close to the Quarter. Great chicken livers.

Mandina's-local institution but not one of my favorites. A bit too dirty and I'm not that picky.

Liuzza's-good New Orleans home cookin. Little neighborhood restaurant. Quite a few other restaurants around like it around town.

More divey places:

Po-Boys: Domilese's on Annunciation
Hamburgers: Port of Call on Esplanade (Best Burgers Ever)
Oysters: Casamento's on Magazine St.
There's no shortage of divey restaurants with better than average food. If that's your thing you'll have a field day.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:03 AM

I have to give a great big thumbs up to Acme Oyster House for their oysters. Best I have ever had (fried & raw)and it was recommended by some locals.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:09 AM

We were in N.O. in December and ate at both Uglesich's and Bon Ton Cafe. They were both fabulous. Uglesich's always has a line after 11:30am, so if you can get there earlier than that, you won't have the hour or so wait. Do go to this institution before the owner retires, which I've seen articles that suggest he will be doing just that in the near future.
Have a great trip....N.O. is a place to visit often!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:38 PM

We ate at the Bon Ton two years ago and I wasn't that impressed. It was good but nothing special but others seem to really like it. Locals directed us to Napolean House and Cafe Sbisa, both of which we enjoyed. Also Petunia's for lunch (crepes) was delicious. We also ate at Antoine's for lunch and had a great time (made friends with the waiter and he gave us a tour of most of the restaurant). Have a great trip!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 02:08 PM
Dan

I have never been to Bon Ton even though I have worked nearby for four years now. The two times I tried to go it was full, which is usually good. Friends didn't like it, which is bad. I'm not sure what to think, so I will try it by next weekend and report back!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

wow, thank you all so much!

I'm glad to hear that Uglesich's is still as good as ever, and certainly hoping that the owner hangs in there at least until April......

I think the only thing to do is to try these places for myself...I'll love some, like some and probably feel so/so about some, and will likely end up 10 lbs overweight, but at least I'll have fun!

I'm also torn about when to dine at Galatoire's: Friday for lunch or anytime for dinner. Any thoughts? I'm sure it will be special no matter which day.....I also want to do Sunday brunch
- is Commander's Palace still the place to go? I know that many locals avoid CP due to the tourists, and recommend other places, such as Palace Cafe (which also sounds wonderful)

thanks again!

Betsy
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
alg

After living in New Orleans for 7 years, here are my favorites:

Irene's in the Quarter...absolutely wondeful each and every time and reasonably priced. They don't take reservations, so you need to either get there before 6 pm or spend the time waiting for a table having a drink in the lounge or at another bar in the immediate area (or both, the wait can be up to 2 hours!)

The Palace Cafe: table upstairs by the window. The white chocolate bread pudding is simply amazing.

Jacques Imo's: uptown, next door to the Maple Leaf (which is a great bar by the way, especially Tuesday nights when Rebirth plays). This restaurant is the place to bring out of town guests.

Lola's: on Esplanade near City Park, great grilled calamari and paella. You bring your own wine (there is a Whole Foods across the street with a decent selection)...be careful not to over-order!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, Alg!

I've got too many restaurants on my list for too few meals. I don't know how many I can fit in during my trip, but I'll try to fit in all of them.....
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
BKD

Regarding Galatoire's: We always like to go for late lunch/early dinner--in between time--so we can sit downstairs without taking a chance on having to wait. Around 4-5pm. Sounds kind of weird but by the time you have some cocktails and apps, the place is filled up.