New Orleans - Monteleone or Le Pavillon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a quick 2 night visit to New Orleans to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. For around the same price, we can stay at either the Hotel Monteleone or Hotel Le Pavillon. While we're there we'd like to relax, maybe see the Garden District, browse some antique shops, enjoy the rooftop pools, have one casual dinner and one splurge dinner. Partying on Bourbon Street is not a priority at all. Based on these criteria, does either hotel have distinct advantages over the other location wise? I've checked tripadvisor but would love to hear your opinions as well. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

One more question....the package offers airport transfers for $52 total. Is this worth adding on, or can we get a taxi for around the same price? Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Regarding the airport transfers, I recall that a couple of years ago, we spent about $25 for the fixed-price ride from the airport to the French Quarter. Maybe someone else knows if that fixed price is still in effect (or if my memory is even correct!).
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Take the airport transfer. You might get a lower price from a non-official taxi driver, but don't do it. As for the hotel selection, either is good, but I prefer smaller places so Le Pavillon would be my choice. If you had said you want to be in the best location in the FQ, I would recommend Monteleone. Sine being in the FQ seems not to be important, go with LP.

You mention a package, so I assume there is no plan to rent a car, which is just as well in New Orleans. From either hotel, the Garden District will require either a very long walk or a taxi ride, or maybe a combination of taxi, streetcar, and a short walk -- all depending on what you prefer. Antiques will be found both in the FQ and around the Garden District, as well as in other spots around town.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! After talking to my husband, I discovered he would actually prefer to be in the Quarter, so now we're deciding between the Hotel Monteleone or the Royal Sonesta. Which of those two would you choose? The price difference is immaterial ($38). Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Royal Sonesta! Get an inside corner room overlooking the pool...it's great!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Glad you picked the Hotel Monteleone, you'll be happy you did. The street the hotel is on is full of antique shops to browse and the rooftop pool is especially nice. As far as the airport transfers, sounds like a good deal unless you have to shuttle to ten different hotels before getting to your own. Otherwise, the official rate for airport to french quarter is like $28/$29 plus tip, not sure, but I know we paid a total of $33 each way (with tip). If you use a taxi, only use the taxi stand directly outside the airport doors after getting your bags, there is an official stand with prices posted and people to help you-they will call the next cab to get you. Don't just get into any cab offered to you. Have a wonderful time, it's a great great way to spend a weekend!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Hotel Monteleone. Have drinks in their rotating bar. A couple of good places to eat in the quarter: Bayona, Rib Room, Dickie Brennan's, and NOLA.