New Orleans in October

Search

New Orleans in October

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans in October

Unlike several other societies, the American Society of Human Genetics is sticking with N'awlins for its annual meeting this fall. Hotel rates are below; any advice? I was thinking Windsor Court but it gets mixed reviews these days. I am generally not a big fancy hotel guy but the Loews gets good reviews and location near French Quarter will be good for my SO who won't be going to the meeting.

Thanks for your help.

Hilton Riverside(headquarters) Classic/Deluxe $245/$255
Courtyard by Marriott $188
Doubletree $214
Embassy Suites $244
Hampton Inn & Suites $179
Hilton Garden Inn $192
Holiday Inn Select $179
Loews New Orleans $229
Marriott Convention Center $204
Renaissance Arts Hotel $218
Residence Inn $184
Springhill Suites $188
Windsor Court Hotel $215
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Going by your list and comparative prices, it is a bit of a no brainer....the Windsor Court.

Unless you have something totally against "fancy" hotels, I don't know why you would want to spend = or > for lesser quality.

Lowes is nice, but NOT anywhere near the Windsor Court, and Loews tends to attract more of a upscale hip hop crowd...at least lately it seems.

Don't know what you know about the Windsor COurt, but it is one of the most beautiful hotels in the US...the artwork alone is worth the stay.

If this is not your cup of tea, I'm sure that Loews would be good.

You might also consider the W which is nearly across the street and next door to the Windsor COurt, or another hotel called the International House, which is a cross between say the W and the Delano hotel in Miami Beach.

The price should be in the same neighborhood.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I stayed at the Hilton at the end of November and was really impressed with the service - just 3 months after Katrina with much of the common space under contruction and even with everything going on, the people were terrific. The hotel itself was nice - pretty much what you would expect in a Hilton.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Are you tied to those options? The Royal Sonesta is a wonderful New Orleans tradition - especially if you get an inside corner room overlooking the pool. Aside from that, the Hilton Riverside is a nice hotel and I'm sure you'd be happy there. It's quite huge, and I normally only suggest it for families, but we haven't been to NO since the hurricane, so I know things have changed. It's been years since we stayed at Windsor Court - at the time it was lovely, but we didn't like the total lack of New Orleans ambience.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:19 PM

THREE CHEERS for the American Society of Human Genetics for it's support of New Orleans!!!!

Hope everyone has a great time!
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

yes, pretty much tied to these hotels. And, yes, I was very excited about staying at Windsor Court, but it has gotten slammed in some recent reviews (eg tripadvisor) as badly in need of updating.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I would stay at the Renaissance Arts Hotel or the Windsor Court. The latter is like it's name implies, traditional and old English. Think high tea, etc. It is the best hotel in New Orleans, followed by the still closed Ritz Carlton.

The Renaissance is a great hotel in the CBD/Warehouse District down the street from Emeril's and adjacent to La Cote Brasserie, an excellent restaurant. It also happens to be across the street from my parking garage at work! It is more modern in style than the Windsor Court.

The Windsor Court is closer to the FQ, but any of the hotels in the CBD are only 4 blocks or so from the FQ.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I'd heard rates were way down because occupancy was, so imagine my shock at Embassy Suites for $244??? Is that a typo by chance??

Please don't put too much stock in all you read in TripAdvisor. I doubt there is a hotel anywhere that isn't slammed by them, including the true 5*'s, such as the Mansion in Dallas. It seems to be the nature of that beast!
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Nope, not a typo. I also checked Kayak.com and got comparable rates or higher.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn during Jazz Fest 2006; very happy with my stay there. Hotel is in very good shape and didn't have any complaints.

Tripadvisor.com gives it pretty high scores and I would agree with them.