new orleans in may

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new orleans in may

Thinking of going to New Orleans in May . Need hotel advice and is Thursday thru Sunday enought time?
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Three nights in New Orleans is enough to give you an ample taste for a visit and still leave plenty of things undiscovered for a return visit.

I recommend that you stay in the French Quarter, where everything is within walking distance. Hotels will be pricier there, especially since May is big toursit time down there. When I'm in town I like to stay at the Hotel Ste. Marie, which is a couple of blocks off of Bourbon Street in the Quarter.

Plan to walk every morning to Cafe du Monde to get beignets and cafe au lait--you'll want the exercise after you start sampling the wonderful (but often heavy) cuisine. New Orleans has more truly great places to eat per square mile than any other town in the US, with the exception of New York. Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Not nearly enough time! We've gone every year for the past 7-8 and have already added on an extra day for this year's trip just because New Orleans is so exciting and fascinating. I like staying right on Bourbon St. - it's noisy and hard to sleep at night, but we aren't going for a rest anyway. Have fun and enjoy the city!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Check out the dates for Jazz Festival. Hotel rates will be horrible,and unless you really, really want to go for that event, I'd find a different time. I'm not sure of the dates. Jean
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Jazz Fest is April 24th-May 4th this year. And JeanH is right...hotels will be double or triple their normal rites, and will be totally booked by now, so avoid that unless you want to go to Jazz Fest.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:07 PM

I just got back from New Orleans - stayed in the quarter for the final four (which I doubt I'll do again - smelly, loud, etc.) but then had an extra day and stayed at a great place (bed and breakfast) - Maison Perrier is awesome.

Really nice innkeeper who provides great service and really takes care of everything - way beyond what I expected.

They had Abita on tap, the real southern breakfast was unbelievable, and the wireless internet access was a major bonus.

I think these guys have a website - something like maisonperrier.com.