Search

New Orleans Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans Hotels

Three of my girl friends and I are heading to New Orleans in September. We are looking for a nice (but not too expensive)hotel in the French Quarter. Since it's the four of us, we want a room with two double beds. We want to be near the action of Bourbon Street but we don't want to be so close that we can't get a good nights sleep. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:18 PM

There are several hotels in the French Quarter. I've stayed at: The 1. Iberville Suites-(room was small with one bed, but they did have a sofa bed in sitting area- they may have doubles with sleeper sofa also- same building and ownership as the Ritz Carlton), 2.Alexa (another small room but this is a boutique hotel - part of the Holiday Inn Astoria on Canal. You could walk in either entrance if you don't get so intoxicated that you can't manage the double doored elevator),3. The Mariott on Canal(Sheraton is across the street) 4.Maison Dupry(If I remember correctly - you may have to walk down less populated streets to get back to your room) 5. Hotel Monteleon (about 12 years ago, they gave us a suite that was decorated in the 60's- beaded curtain, etc., My then 8 year old son yelled - Look there is a mirror over the bed!)6. Marie Antoinette. There are probably others that I just can't remember. I guess I would recommend one of the first 3 hotels that I mentioned for convenience. They are all within a block or two of the end(closer to Canal) of Bourbon St.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:33 PM

My girlfriends and I took a similar trip and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Chateau la Moyne. It's on the edge of the quarter, easy walking but not too loud. It's very cute and also a close walk to the street car on St. Charles.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your recommendations.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:19 AM

We stayed at the Intercontinental and it was very nice. Only about 3 blocks to the French Quarter and on the streetcar route. We went during Mardi Gras, and the streets were tied up with constant parades, but the hotel was very modern with good size rooms which were decorated very nicely. Not sure if it's in your price range, but you might get a good rate for September. The hotel doesn't have great dining options, but with all those choices in French Quarter, it's not a problem.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:24 AM

We always stay at the Ramada Inn on Bourbon - it's located fairly centrally in the Quarter so we rarely need taxis. The rooms facing Bourbon are noisy, but the others towards the couryard/pool area are much quieter. I think they have a seasonal promotion going on right now, also. Good luck and have fun - see you there in September!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:56 PM

We love the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon. It's a high end hotel but then tend to have pretty good specials in the summer or if you book last minute. The location couldn't be more perfect and there is a rooftop pool which is great - also a wonderful bar off the lobby.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:15 PM

Check out the Hotel Provincial and/or Le Richelieu--both of them are on Chartres, an easy stroll to Bourbon St. and everywhere else in the quarter. They are both nice, atmospheric, moderately priced, and very friendly and helpful.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I went to NO with a couple of girlfriends a couple of years ago and stayed at the Chateau Sonesta. It was a great location(just off Bourbon, but not loud), the room was huge, and service good. Have fun!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:22 AM
hsv

I realize that you want a hotel in the French quarter, which I cannot comment on, unfortunately.

However, I have stayed at the former Le Meridien, which is now a JW Marriott, I believe. It is right across the street from the French Quarter (next to Sheraton) and I was very pleased by the rooms, the ambience and the location. They also had a nice rooftop- pool and fitness club plus some of the best old time jazz in the lobby that I encountered in N.O. I would guess that it has not deteriorated under the JW Marriott brand.
If staying in the French Quarter is mandatory, I have been hearing very good comments about the Royal Sonesta.
Have a fun trip!