new orleans for jazz fest

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new orleans for jazz fest

WE've just found out we can get away for the jazz fest in new orleans on april 29,30 and may 1 and 2.we know this can be difficult to find accomodations--need help.Can pay only $150 a nite and would like to be near the quarter possibly.Any recommendations--we like funky but not seedy!!What are our chances?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Dan

Interested in a B&B? If so, try www.neworleansinns.com for some frequently-mentioned B&Bs who tend to score well on tripadvisor.com. At this point, anyone with availability may barter a bit on the rate to get it to your $150 level.

Good luck!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM

You won't find much near the quarter for $150. You might get lucky with Priceline.com, but you might be too late.

I checked a few hotels in the CBD (Central Business District) and the Parc St. Charles (on the street car line) and the Cotton Exchange Hotel Downtown (2 blks from FQ) go for $129 (Thurs) and $169 (Fri/Sat). These were rates I found on their individual websites.

You can get a B&B in your price range, but you'll have to stay in the Garden District and take the street car to the FQ. Most places are going for $200 and up. However, I saw the Lagniappe B&B at 1925 Peniston Street had room available for $135-$150/night. It's in the Garden District and I have no knowledge of whether it is good or not. You just need to walk 3 blocks to get to the street car line, then it's just a street car ride to Canal St.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Try the IBERVILLE SUITES , excellent location- in the heart of the French Quarter BUT with some peace and quiet.
Stayed there in December for $129.
Every room is a suite and enjoy the same amenities of the RITZ next door (I believe they're under the same umbrella). Good Luck.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your research Heartburn3 and Dita--am checking it all!!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I don't know about availability, but you might check on the Chateau Hotel, 1001 Chartres, a great location in the quarter.

Rates are in your price range, and we know people (including our daughter and her husband) who have stayed there and liked it.

www.chateauhotel.com

Byrd
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Rates to stay in the FQ for Jazz Fest are exorbitant. One year we gave up after looking the previous year and not finding anything for under $300/nite. Instead we ended up in the Fauborg-Marignay area at a B&B on Royal Street -- I think it was the Royal Street Courtyard B&B. It was a great place, and within walking distance to the FQ. It also has the great restaurants and bars that are on Frenchman Street. This area has really gotten hot!

The biggest problem you will have when you choose not to stay in the FQ is that it is impossible to get a cab from other areas on the day of the Jazz Fest. We stayed once in the Garden District at a B&B and after loosing way too much time trying to get a cab to take us to the Festival (we called the cab company and the cabs still would not come), we decided to never do that again. The problem is that the cabbies don't want to go anywhere but the FQ because from there they can pick up a fare when they drop you off, but not so in the Garden District. So if you the FQ is too expensive, choose to stay close to the FQ, in the Fauborg-Marignay district for instance. Then you can make the short walk into the Quarter to get a cab to Jazz Fest.

The other alternative is to rent a car, or to go to the Superdome (isn't that what it's called?) to get onto the bus.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM

persimmon......The Parc St Charles has a AAA rate of $144 for your dates...have fun...